21" setup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by cpllawncare, Feb 27, 2013.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I have been experimenting with my Snapper 21" setting the front deck height lower than the rear? Has anyone done this? it does seem to cut a bit better. If so what would be the optimal setting?

2. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

How much lower in the front? I'd think anything over 1/4 inch would be detrimental causing it to scoop with the single blade. I never tried this, but maybe you could do more experimenting (on your own grass of course) and post up some pics. Now you've got me thinking - I just need to find some green grass..............

3. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I do this with the Honda 21" sometimes to get the height I want.

4. cpllawncare

I was just thinking that the ZTR's come from the factory set up this way, so why not set up a 21", the same, maybe just crazy thinking LOL just wondering if anybody else had tried it

5. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I do that with my honda. 1 half step lower in the front than the back. It cuts much better
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

It actually causes less load on the blade and allows the engine to run at full rpm. Technically no grass should be left to cut for the edge of the blade on the back of its arc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If you need to cut fescue really high set the rear adjusters on the outside of the locking bracket.

8. cpllawncare

That's the one thing that I like about my snapper it will cut at 5" if I set the adjusters right, glad to see my thinking wasn't off on this, I'm going to set it lower in the front from now on. just curious do you guys know if anybody makes a gator blade for a 21"?

9. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

This also allows better airflow from the back of the deck and can help with either side discharge or bagging.

10. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Scroll down to the Snapper section of this list, you'll need to get the measurements from your blade:

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pdf/OREGON_BladesByOEM.pdf