21" Snapper Differential Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Jan 8, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

From what I could tell, about the only thing ya might could do is find a macine shop that can furnace braze em for ya.
    Go see my buddy Jesse over to Austin Speed Shop. Tell em' Paul Jr. sent ya!!!

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ive had several Snapper 21s and my current 21 is over 10 years old and has had a whole lot of use, Ive never had a gear box failure yet, I thought they were bullet proof.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Forget to tell you the part only cost $30....thanks...so big no no to try
    to weld it?

old ones good, new ones not so good.

5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Ed...I've had some luck welding dissimular metals together using a mig welder.
    Where stick welding doesn't penetrate too far and can break off...the mig shoots the wire in deep unuf to stitch them together..
    Not sure which metals you are joining...but the mig works well on pig metals...

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

I've never even had one apart, but from what I could tell from the IPL, you don't have the room for a weld bead, on accountta the fit up into bushings etc.
    I saw the price on the IPL.
    MIG, stick, tig, whatever, yer still gonna end up with a bead that will interfere/rub against the faces. Ya might could use a die grinder to put a heavy countersink in the gear I.D. in which to lay yer weld bead, then grind it smooth.
    Really depends on your skills.

WTF is "pig metal"??????

7. avernon0112

avernon0112 LawnSite Member

We purchased 4 new Snappers this year. The one that made it the longest hung around for three months. They are junk. 3-4 years ago they would last, but not now.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I got a real old one with the motor locked up, I may restore it insted of buying a new one.

9. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

With this many gear failures...I'm wondering why you guys aren't lining up for warranties..
    There surely must be a recall on them...

BTW Fish...pig metal...pig iron...is an inferior grade or iron...usually brittle..
    They make forklift counterweights out of it....china makes everything out of it..

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a Robins 2 stroke it might be worth it. I redid one of those last
    year and like any 2 stroke it was pretty easy. But it was't locked up.