1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21 starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cooltype, Aug 2, 2006.

1. cooltype

cooltype LawnSite Member

This is really my first year in the lawn care businesss. Ive mowed yards mainly for people i knew maybe 3 a week since i was 16 or so but never tried to make a business out of it until now. I also worked for a contractor who developed neighborhoods and had alot of rental property for two years and douring that time i mowed all of his properties with a Grasshopper Z rider and a Snapper hydro walk behind so i have been familiar with commercial equipment for awhile. He also taught me alot of the basics about landscaping, him and his friend who owns a landscaping company with a degree in horticulture. To make a long story short im just starting but feel like i have a good idea of how to do the work. Im starting out with a 97 Blazer, 5X8 trailer with gate, 52" bobcat walk behind (used), Red Max Trimmer, Husqvarni back pack blower, plus lots of handtools and other stuff. Currently i have about 17 accounts on a schedule and a few that just call when need service. Just ready to pick up alot more accounts and get some more equipment. Also looking in to insurance and figuring out the taxes thing so not to get myself in any trouble. I think im off to a good start hopefully in the right direction...
  2. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to be the same place...

Sounds great on the degree. Almost home. Get it finished. I know it took me forever to finish the last bit while working full-time. You might get injured and get stuck in an office somewhere. On second thought, getting disability insurance and being stuck at home might better. The thought of having to dress up and go to the 13th floor again makes me cringe.

Equipment sounds good as far as what I know. What blower did you get? I'm really starting to drool over the new ergonomic Huskys after bumping into a car and banging a front door with the larger size of the conventional backpack.

I do know a pinestraw guy with an ergonomic but worn Stihl he has sitting in the trailer because his guys like the underpowered blowers for pinestraw installation.

Talked to a guy who bought a Bobcat WB 8 years ago new for 1.5K. He said he's been in the industry for 15 years. Runs a dump truck with trailer and does sodding and tree work. I noticed he cut the back yard with the Bobcat and used a 1-2 year old commercial 21" Honda push on the front yard. The grass cut with the Honda did look a lot better than the Bobcat.