21" Stripes on Rye

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by dwc, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Looks awesome! Thats not a bad idea either, I kinda like to piss off my neighbors lol jk. But I do love my yard to be green

P.S. I'm pretty sure I spy a Crown Vic Police Interceptor a few drives down.
  2. T.Brandon

T.Brandon LawnSite Senior Member

So summer you do bermuda and winter do rye, and scalp at 1'' then seed?
  3. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Lol at least you have it down. A winter around here wouldn't lend itself to green grass, I didn't know you had such fair weather where you were.
  4. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that's a detective that lives down the street.

Right before the Bermuda shuts down in the fall I scalp it down to about 1" then spread seed and starter fert. In the spring when Bermuda starts taking off good I scalp the rye down to about 1" and that along with high temps usually kills it out. Then I have green Bermuda all summer until I repeat the process in the fall.
  5. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

For around here is grows all winter, but very slow for what I have seen. Now that spring is here it is realy taking off.
  6. tlc23

tlc23 LawnSite Member

Do you bag the clippings then just spread the seed and fert on the ground? Do you do anything else?
  7. dwc

yes I bag the clippings with my Walker then spread seed and fert and water water water. Some people use a slit seeder machine but I don't have one.
  8. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

DWC im in tulsa here. Just wondering if you have seen any buffalograss around where you are at?
  9. dwc

I am in southwest OK and I have seen a little bit of buffalo grass but not much. What I have seen is pretty thin and doesn't look too nice.
  10. dwc

Just thought I would update this thread with a pic of my overseeded rye for this year. I did a little different this year and so far I am pleased with it. I used a perennial ryegrass blend and used a slit seeder to seed it with. I seem to have much better germination than normal, even though we are in a pretty good dry spell and have been for a while.

This pic is from a couple weeks ago after the FIRST mowing, so the color is not as dark green as it will be when the grass matures a little. I'll post another pic next time I mow to show the progress. It was mowed with my Walker 48"GHS.

stripes walker.jpg