21" Stripes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, May 25, 2001.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone get a 21" to stripe if so please let us in on how? I have with mine but not too great I thought about puting some chain behind it short enough not to step on it.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My 21" Toro stripes pretty well. They're kinda like mini Eric stripes ;). Well, maybe not THAT good but they look pretty good. I don't have any secret, I just mow like everybody else does to stripe. I want to make a striping kit for it, maybe a roller or something like the ones you can get for the Exmarks. I'll get some pics maybe next time I go mow. Later.

3. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

honda has a mower 21"that was no back wheels just one metal roller that goes all the way acrossed the back of the unit and is self propelled .i have seen them on the net only.(canada)dont know if its
    for golf coarses or what but it would have to stripe with that roller.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I believe Ariens makes a roller type striping kit for their 21 in. mowers.
    Maybe pick one up and fabricate it to your deck. Let everyone know how it turns out.

5. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I mentioned this in another thread but I have had good luck with the following gizmo. Plus you can make one to fit just about any size machine. Take a piece of rubber that is about 1/4" in thickness,two to four inches in height and aproximatly the same width as the deck and sandwich it between two strips of metal. Attach the metal to the mower so that the rubber hangs down below the back edge of the deck. I have found that on small mowers 3/4" is usually enough but you might have to play around with it a little to work in your situations.

If you have trouble finding the rubber look in the yellow pages under "Rubber suppliers".:blob3: :cool: :eek:

6. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

i have had many, many 21" mowers.none would ever stripe.
    one day, a customer gave me a 22" mower. probably cost
    $100.00. this thing stripes incredibly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it is a murray mower. all push.hurts my back.but the
    stripes are soooooooo bright.i think it is because the
    deck is so deep. it is about5-6" the handle broke the
    other day. i'm getting it welded.

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

hey matthew, i used to use one of them, and ya its a great striper.

For Holloway Lawns, what kinda mower are you8 using, if it is a toro 21" then there should be a plastic "deflector" at the back of the mower just replace that with the thiker rubber that CRS mentioned.

good luck man

8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

for the past two weeks ive been experimenting with a striping kit on my yard. i use a 22" craftsman 6.5 hp, highwheel, mulching/bagging self propelled mower. last week what i did was set two bricks on the rear guard, mowed 2 or three times (tiny yard, different direction each time) and sure enough i got stripes.this week i took two 1/4 pieces of cinder block, bungeed them to the back of the mower, on top of guard, mowed 3 times, and i have the best stripes on the street, maybe even the neighborhood, now im not saying this is the best looking or safest stripe kit, but it certainly does the job

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i am in the process of putting finishing touches on a lawnboy chain striper, I've used it twice and it is VERY effective!! i'll take pics of it later:jester:

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

here are crude and cheap prototypical model pics
    i will give it a better frame later, This was just to see if chains would work on a 21" , and they do very well! (those pics will come later)

chain1.jpg