1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" toro comercial still not cutting right

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jul 15, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

My toro 22176 I got about a month ago is still cutting weird even with the atomic mulching blade. Should I try the real gator or remove the kickers? Please let me know how to get performance out of this expensive mower!!!!
  2. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

A few questions to give us some basics to start with. What type grass, growth amount per cutting, cutting height, cutting condition(wet, dry, or new growth) and gear setting. I would like to help but possibly have not used our Toro 22177 model in your conditions.

3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We use nothing but 21 proline's with stock blades and kickers installed w/mulch plug, and even on very high St. Aug with a sharp blade they plow through at the correct setting. If you're leaving that much trail or whatever I would highly consider bringing it back to have them look at it.
  4. S man

Okay. Well I kind of cut a lot of different types but are mostly small and maintained. I cut on speed 2 and use setting 4 or 5 and maybe 3 if it's low enough. I just put the atomic blade on and it still leaves that line of grass in the middle of the cut grass. It seems like when you take half a deck it makes the groove look more noticeable.
  5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the line in the middle of the mower or where the wheels are? Is it a line of mulched grass or uncut grass? I don't know what you're problem is I'm just curious

another thing I don't think gators fit on those toros well they don't on my super recycler anyway.
  6. S man

The grass is uncut blades that got pushed down but not cut in the center of the path of cut grass.

btw I have used a proline with a real gator on it.
  7. mr.we.mow.grass

mr.we.mow.grass LawnSite Member

did you get your problem fixed?
  8. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I've own a few Prolines and have never had that problem before. Is your unit equipped with the BBC? What engine does it have? Perhaps the blade is not spinning fast enough or something is blocking its path. Just take it to the dealer and have them look at it.
  9. S man

Not quite.

I guess bill is right and I need a tinytach to check the rpms.

It's the 22176 w/ kaw and zone start. I have a gator on it right but I get the same result so this is not a blade issue. Most lawns that are a tad higher give this mower a very hard time and must back up and go forward for the whole lawn which is a big time waster. And the mower leaves excessive mulched grass when lifted up or turned.

Something else that is weird is that my snapper does the same thing with the groove sometimes when mulching.
  10. mr.we.mow.grass

mr.we.mow.grass LawnSite Member

my mowers were taching at 3100 I turned them up to 3600 and still have that problem! its almost like the grass is being pushed down and not sucking it up to be cut.