1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" Toro Personal Pace mower???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fvstringpicker, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

What's ya'lls recommendation on a Toro Personal Pace 21" as a trim mower? I don't really want to spend the $900+ for the commericial Toro 21.
  2. Zebop

Zebop LawnSite Member

Hi. I'm not a pro, but I own the personal pace mower (6.5 hp; aluminum deck), and it works just fine for my yard, which is about three-quarters of an acre (and very hilly - the pace mower pretty much goes by itseft up the hills - it's great). It's one of the better mulchers on the homeowner market, IMO, and the lawn looks great after your done, something you can't say about every mower. The only complaint I have is I have to clean the underside of the deck often. But for trimming purposes, you'll be fine.

Does anyone know of a spray I could use, or some other method, to cut down (no pun intended) on the grass build-up underneath?

BTW, you pros are great! I learn a lot here.
  3. lawnsbyryan

lawnsbyryan LawnSite Member

I will always stick by Toro...I have my trimmer mower (recycler) from the mid-90's and my commercial Toro walk behinds are phenomenal for the price

As far as the personal pace mower goes for a trimmer mower that is a lot to spend $900 +... I had no idea they were that expensive, but I have used one and they are great! I guess it depends on how much trimming you're going to be doing with it...maybe an Ariens 21" (great mower) or something comprable would make more sense or economical.

As for a spray for underneath decks...on my small mower I clean it real well and then use cooking oil (the cheap spray kind) and it seems to work pretty well.
  4. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

I just bought the Toro 6.5 hp personal pase mower to use for trim work. I like it alot. It has enough power and you can mulch, side discharge or bag with it. I bought mine a Home Depot. I only paid $350 for mine. Maybe we are talking about a different type.........
  5. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Personal Pace is excellent. Be aware there is a difference between the steel deck & the cast deck versions. The cast deck's is a lot beefer

BAMARED LawnSite Member

I bought the 6.5 Personal Pace at the beginning of this season. Have been very satisfied. I paid $359 for it at Home Depot. It's got plenty of travel speed (4.8 mph), bags like mad and delivers a good cut. As a matter of fact, I'll buy another when I wear this one out.

Toro also make the Personal Pace Super Recycler which comes w/an aluminum deck and an available 6.75 engine. But I couldn't see spending the extra $200. The one I got is just fine. So, "yes," I would highly recommend this mower.

Good luck,

7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I bought a Personal Pace Toro from home Cheapo as well, about 2 months ago or so. It runs well, starts well, and cuts well. BUT, I am not at all impressed with the mulching. You guys say its a great mulcher.....maybe its just me but mine leaves stingers on each side, that I have to go back over. My Honda 21 mulches twice as well. It doesn't really chop up the clippings, just throws out the sides.:confused: It bags very well, and for some odd reason stripes very well. I recently posted some pics of my 21" stripes made with that mower.
  8. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I love mine, electric start! for $375...cant beat that. When I trim hedges, ect. I throw the bagger on and use it as a rake, sucks like mad! I know, I know pull start the 15 kohler and turn the key on the 6.5..:confused:
  9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I don't want to sound like a jerk but it's actually a 22" and i used mine for the first time this season and i do agree on one thing it stripes well for some reason and it does a better job than my 36" Tbarchaser I pull start my commercial turn a key for my 6.5 22" and this toro was cheper than the JD with castors I paid around $400 or a little over then i went to use it i put fresh gas in and i lookd and the gas tank was leaking so i took it back got store credit and bought the toro
  10. I bought a TORO Personal Pace 21" super recycler last year
    I think it is 6.5 or 7 HP.

They call it a light commercial model
    I love it Has a larger gas tank.

We have a couple houses that we have to mow to back with a 21"