21" Toro Proline Vs. 21" Exmark Metro (Seriously!)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I know they are basically the exact same, but the TORO brochure I have shows small blades built into the deck to help mulch better. The homeowner super recyclers also have this. Exmark never advertises this feature, so maby it only exists on the TORO. Does this make the TORO proline the better of the two?

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

They are Not Small Blades...They are Useless Pieces of Plastic Called Kickers which Probably Worked Great on Some Toro Engineer's Computer Simulation...In Real Life they Just act Like Grass Build up Under the Deck and Reduce Mulching and Bagging Performance...

Or are You Talking about the Little Blade Cradle w/the "Recycler" Ends...Those Go in the Garbage as Well..

You can Take the Kickers or Cradles Off the Prolines Very Very Easily and if you Buy the Metro and Really Really Want Them I've got a Stack About Yay High...

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

But I agree with Kelvin.. I don't know if the "kickers" are useless, but my exmarks mulch like mad without them.. I really can't see the things really helping.

4. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking about the kickers, I think. What are the "Recycler" ends? Could someone describe these more in depth? Thanks.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

those "kickers" help more than you know. I've used them to make bad mulching mowers mulch beter than exmarks. I could probably even increase the perforamnce of the exmark mower that I have by putting in kickers. dishboy will back me up on this one, he's done it too his honda hrc 216, and I've done it to mine, works like a charm.

I would honestly take the one with better dealer support. you can buy kickers and screw them in to the exmark if you want.

6. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

The Instant any Wet Grass Sticks to the Kicker or the Underside of the Deck...the Kickers "Magical Properties" are Gone...Poof...Out the Window...They're Just Plastic Clumps of Grass Making the Underside Deck Area Smaller...Lose the Kickers.

7. TClawn

the wet grass doesn't stick to the kicker. as long as you clean the kickers and the whole deck off every time you change the blade, it mulches extremley well in the wet.

8. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

You Crazy Kids and Your Kickers...Once You Get a Boatload of Grass Triying to Circulate Under the Deck The Last thing you Want is Kickers Taking up Valuable Deck Space....

Don't try This at Home..

doubles.JPG

9. TClawn

it works for my conditions, and it does not perform well without them. I trust you have significant experience using a good toro product with kickers?

10. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Isn't the Exmark primarily a bagging mower, and you need to purchase an optional mulch kit with it??

I tried my Toro with and without kickers and I didn't see a difference. Just wish it went above 3 1/4" height. ;)