1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" Toro Proline

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ray&Christine, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

Our 5 year old Toro with the 6.5 h.p. Briggs engine has finally died. We are going to get another Toro but are not sure which engine to get. Our choices are the same 6.5 h.p. Briggs 4 cycle, 6 h.p. Kawasaki 4 cycle or the 5.5 Suzuki 2 cycle. My only complaint about the Briggs motor is the price of the air/oil filters. Any feedback about these mowers would be great.

2. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

GO W/ THE 2 CYCLE!!! I'm about to drive four hours ( one way) to buy another one. They are great mowers you will never go back to a 4 cycle 21".

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Either the 2 cycle or the 6 HP Kawi.
  4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 2-cycle toro about 2 years ago it was 8 years old when I scrapped it but it always had a problem cutting wet or tall grass the motor would bog down. I could never figure out what was wrong. We ran it a 32:1 oil ratio and the air filter was always clean and we put a fuel filter on it. And check the carb regularly it just didnt seem powerfull . but from what I hear the newer style is great.
  5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Get the suzuki 2 stroke toro proline. I got one in July for $950. This machine is indestructible. The engine has lots of power mulches excellent and bags great. I love toros and this is the ultimate 21. I dont care for hondas although i have one. I also have a deere with the commercial kawi. I still love the two stroke and this machine is just so solidly built. Pick one up drop it off the truck and nothing happens its overbuilt. Great machine IMHO.
  6. crew

crew LawnSite Member

You might consider the Lawnboy. 2 cycle( the only way to go) and weighs about 30 pounds less. I have lawn boy and toro - both 2 cycles and the toro is heavy and way too complicated. Compare the wheel assemblies and youll see the whole story. Only Lawnboy 21's for me.
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The suzuki is a great motor, everyone I have talked to loves them, and I have 2 that have been worked like a dog, and keep on ticking.

8. That 2 cycle suzuki is one of the finest little engine we've ever used .

It just runs and runs and takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
    has plenty of power.

Only thing we ever had go wrong the exhaust port pluged from mixing the fuel at 32 to 1 .

useing amsoil now and no mere exhaust port plug up's

If they ever have a hall of fame for small engines the 2 cycle suzuki should be one of the charter members:D
  9. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I had a few 21 prolines with the 2 stroke suzuki engines, they were great but gettin old, Most guys here run either the 2 stroke prolines or JD JX85 mowers, I purchased a couple of Lawnboys A while back and while they are good, I miss my prolines, These lawnboys arn't as easy to get around with that staggerd wheel and I really can't use them in areas that have dips in them( they scalp) And if the use the rear bag, the opening isn't big enough to get wet grass thru and you have to use the side bag, The prooline had the same problem, rear opening just wasn't big enough where a JX 85 has a good size opening for grass to pass thru, But the JX85 is a heavy SOB (120 lbs) where the lawn boy is around 80lbs. I do love the way my lawnboy rips thru high grass though no problem, Lawnboy just needs to change that deck some and smooth out the bottom.
  10. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

My vote is for the 2 cycle suzuki's as well. I have 2 prolines with the suzuki's. Great mower !!