21" - Toro vs Exmark

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jdmcat, Jan 28, 2008.

1. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

i was looking at the metro 21" and it looks identical to every toro i've ever seen. what's the difference? does toro make the exmark or vice versa?

2. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

Exmark owns toro, as far as I know...

3. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

The Toro and the Metro 21 are identical--the differences between the two are slight--The Toro has recycle "kickers" on the mower deck The Metro does not, and some slight differences in handle bar design . Transmission and mower deck design are identical.

4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro owns exmark. the differences are the mulching capacity. The exmark will not mulch as well the toro.... I have both

5. Lovingreen

Lovingreen LawnSite Member

I believe toro is the parent company, but they are getting more similar every year. I looked at both of the models you are looking at and could only justify the cost if you ran it full time. If it isn't used full time, Save some money and buy a higher end homeowner model. Look at the initial cost and estimate in reallity how long it will last and then see how many $300 or $400 mowers you can buy in that time period. The weak point in the mowers is the transmissions. I usually get about 2-3 seasons out of a homeowner model. The toro personal pace has been my favorite, but you have to replace the plastic rear wheels regularly, but that is cheap. I have a Honda now which has held up alot better, but is a little slower and won't cut as high as I would like in some situations. When the honda stops pulling, if I can't fix it cheap, I'll probably go back to the Toro.

6. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I to own both , and I agree with your statement regarding the Toro's better mulching ability of the two . I have to come to the conclusion the 'kickers" employed on the Toro version of the mower are the reason for this difference in mulching capability(although the difference is not extreme).

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Toro Proline 21" mower, a couple of years old. One feature that I dislike is the Operator Presence feature is coupled with the ground drive engagement. The bail is below the handlebar. The activate the OP, the bail is pulled half way up, to engage the ground drive, the bail is pulled the rest of the way. Holding the bail in the proper position, especially for starting can be a challenge at times.

It is my understanding the Exmark version has a separate Operator Presence bail, on the topside of the handlebar. Another bail below the handlebar is used exclusively for the ground drive engagement.

Perhaps somebody can confirm my understanding. This difference would be enough for me to choose the Exmark version, over the Toro version.

8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Regarding the OP and the bail, you might try sliding the transmission in N (neutral) with your foot and then back in gear once it has started. Thats what I've tried because I got a little annoyed with it wanting to take off if you have the bar up to high and it hasnt started yet.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I understand your suggestions. However, my mower is almost always used with a bag, making the shifter lever a "hunt in the dark." The bag lays directly over the shifter lever, a few inches away from clear access. Even without the bag, I think only a highly skilled ballet dancer could manage that little shifter lever with a foot! For me, it is always a hand shift.

10. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

we always tied a piece of trimmer line around the handle and bail just short enough to trip the operator presence. then when you want to shut it off slide the trimmer line off to the side. also i could be mistaken but i think the BBC model will stay running when you let off the handle since the blade disengages, at least on the older ones.