21" Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snake1040, Mar 26, 2000.

1. snake1040

snake1040 LawnSite Member
    from fl

Just wanted some thought on the 21" Toro with a 5.5hp briggs and straton. I have been on there web site and noticed they now offer the kawasaki. Any way I have a 21" honda commercial and when ever I get into thick grass in the summer it will leave blades sticking up and sometimes when not in thick grass and I do keep the blade sharp. I am thinking of replacing and was wondering how the Toro did in these kind of conditions or maybe another brand.
  2. If your going to buy a 21 Toro get the 4.5<br>hp suzuki 2 cycle engine. The only problem<br>with these units is after about 5 years of<br>heavy usage the carb needs replacing for it<br>gets worn out by the constant use of moving<br>the throttle/choke/off cable.
  3. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Snake,I agree with Mr. Stone on the choice of the Toro. I purchased the Toro Commerical 21&quot;WB last spring and love it. I went with the 4.5 Suzuki 2 cycle engine reason being it uses the same gas/oil mix I use in my trimmer,blower,and hedge trimmer. I mow some steep hills and wanted the oil to be where it needed to be. I have a 3 speed trans and even in the spring I can mow at 2.5&quot; cut 2&quot; grass and it does a fine job of mulching everthing up. Mower came with a 2.5 bag also. I think you would be very happy with it. Well I'm very pleased with mine. However it was not a cheap purchase,$899.00+tax,but you get what you pay for. I would buy another one. Hope this helps. Mowman
  4. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

We use the Commercial Toro 21&quot; with the 6.0 and 6.5 hp. (I have 4 of them) We service manily residential so we use them about 7 hrs a day, 6 months per year. I don't see many 2 stroke Toro's. At my elevation the 2 strokes don't have enough power. 5200 ft. IMHO Toro makes the best 21&quot; mower on the market. Either way, 2 stroke or 4, you will be getting a nice mower. They seem a little expensive at first but after a few days use, you will know why you spent the money.
  5. If you don't want to bag grass and mulch buy<br>a toro.<p>If you want to bag buy a Honda.<p>The honda bag empties a lot easier when<br>dumping into your truck. <p>I still use the same 21 Toro I bought new in 1989 except for a<br>new deck and carb. <p>I also have a second one of 1989 vintage that I paid $250 to a dealer. The dealer installed a new<br>tranny and the customer never came<br>or did not want to pay for the repair and he sold it to me for the<br>price of the repair.<br>
  6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have a snapper 21 commercial with a robin 4hp engine, it cuts great and bags great, Im on my fifth yr,and no problems only replaced the belts,wheel bearings are still holding up, but i love the 2cycle robin engine, very powerful.It only drawback is it is alittle heavy but its because of the commercial build, They do last. The toro's are nice to some of my friends have them. But both are good machines i paid 860.00 for mine.<p>----------<br>Mark's Mowing Service<br>