1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" Toro's 2 Cycle Vs. 4 Stroke ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JustMowIt, Oct 1, 2004.

1. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We are thinking about making the change from 2 cycle to 4 stroke but worried about changing so much oil & buying so many filters.

Any input of the Pros & Cons??
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If you get the Honda[proline]you can just turn the machine over and drain it right out the filler tube. No filter to change. Takes about 10 minutes to do a oil change and keeps the sump cleaner than using the drain plug the Honda mechanic who taught me this trick says. I put a jackstand under my trailer gate and a drain pan underneath and drain right through the gate.
  3. JustMowIt

Good Advice. I think we are going to buy all new 21's with the Honda Engine. Currently, we have 43 2 cycle 21's, the mower fleet has some age,and we are paying an experienced full time mechanic. With parts & labor it is getting very pricy. I think in the off season we are going to sell all our equipment & start fresh with new, then use one of our employees to change oil and change a few parts (i.e. wheels, cables, gears), all the simple repairs. We are thinking of selling the equipment every year for 40% of the original value, our estimates show it should not cost much more than constantly doing major repairs on an older fleet.

4. I wouldnt over look the new 6.5 kawi it is va beast ..the honda is gutless if you mulch
  5. JustMowIt

Maybe we will demo both before deciding, our dealer would probably let one of our foreman use each one for a week or so.

GOOD THOUGHT. :cool:
    Turf Medic likes this.
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Thats a bunch of B.S., set it at 3600 and it will mow circles around around the Suzuki 5.5. Torque is where it's at not H.P. Is it as strong as the Kawasaki? I don't care, because it gets it done....................
  7. bullshit ..i got honda at 3600 with the blades spinning i got two cycle at 3700 to 4000 with the blades spinning.Kawi's 3600 with the blades spinning

And for torq the kawi will out torq that gutless honda any day of the week
  8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Must Agree w/odin....I stocked up on Suzuki/Prolines but my neXt 21"s will likely be eXmark/Kaw's...Never did Like the Honda for Power....
  9. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

I have to add agreement with Odin and Fareway on the 4 stroke 6.5HP Kawasaki. It works very well for mulching. We change oil at 50 hours and filter at 100 hours. Mobil 1 10W30 still looks clean at change time. Tip mower on the side and drain oil out fill tube into pan - 5 minutes without filter 10 minutes with filter change-use AC filter PF1233-less than $4 at auto store. Try both of the engine options and pick. As I remember the 5.5 non-oil filtered Honda was 6 pounds lighter than Kawasaki 6.5 with the one gallon tank. The Honda was $150 more. Made my decision easy.
    Turf Medic likes this.