21" trim mower: Honda harmony or snapper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spobubba, May 23, 2003.

1. spobubba

spobubba LawnSite Member

Need 21" trim mower for residential work. Mower must bag well. Thinking of new Honda harmony 6.5 OHC mower or snapper hi vac (possibly commercial). Any suggestions?

I like the hydro and the BBC on the honda. It should be fast enough to mow at a fairly brisk pace. Snapper hivac deck and slightly bigger bag are a plus. I know this mower is fast, but does it have many options in the 3-4 mph range?

This mower may do 1 or 2 lawns a week. Which would be better? I also don't want to spend too much time with maintenance, other than changing oil, air filter, blade sharpening, etc.

2. davester40

davester40 LawnSite Member

I mow around a dozen yards a week with a 21inch ariens and love it. It will mow and bag great at top speed (4mph). The mower is 3 years old and I've had no problems at all. Hope this helps.

3. spobubba

spobubba LawnSite Member

Davester,

How many speeds on the ariens? I would hope that it would have a 3.5 or so mph speed. Thanks.

4. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the Honda if your looking for 21"er that bags good. I have a couple and although they're not the greatest mulchers they definitly shine when bagging.

5. davester40

The ariens speed is adjustable from 1mph to 4mph and anywhere in between. It moves the speed wheel across the power wheel so any speed is possible. Also the bag holds 3.5 bushels.
    Dave

6. spobubba

spobubba LawnSite Member

Davester,

This thing sounds like it hauls. Is this the LW 21sch. I just looked at it on the Ariens website it claims to have infi-speed. Is this what you have? Is ther a BBC?

7. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I use a Honda and I love it. It bags awesome. Never used a Snapper. Spobubba, where you from in NY, I'm out of Gloversville.

8. davester40

I have the LM21SW it has the swivel wheels. When you get to the end of a strip you just spin the mower around and go. If you get one try the swivel wheels before you buy. Some love em and some don't.
    Dave

9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Honda- I have the older HR214 and it bags like a dream! Man, It sure does pack it in there! (Doubles must be why it does!!):D

10. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have been using snappers for years. I usuallly special order the robins 4 stroke. This helps in the weight. I used Honda and think they are too heavy. They are both pricey-let us know what you decide-Harry