21" trim mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bubble boy, Jun 12, 2001.

1. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

Just joined, lots of usable info (too much really!)

as for the 21" trim mower debate, i've got to support jones. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know a bigger mower will cut more grass faster, but in the 'burbs north of toronto anything over 36" wide is often useless in a significant number of backyards. either the gate is too small or its just not worth the time. Most lots we do are about 60-80 feet wide and 130-180 feet deep. with lots this size a crew of 2 can knock of 20-25 or more a day with two 21 inch mowers. Having said that, just picked up a 33" walk behind mower new to dealers in this area and it seems to be the perfect compromise.
    Pushin 30+ houses a day, sleeping like a baby at night.

2. Your working way too hard. Invest in a new toro/exmark 32" with a proslide.

You will cut your time in half. Why work 50 hours a week when you can
    work 25 for the same scratch and still have legs at the end of the day.

3. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Bubble Boy,
    "We have crews that can knock off 20 25 or more a day (with a 21)",
    Be careful what you say there are many non believers.
    I supplement with a 36. What is the 33 new to dealers in the area? I've tried 32's but without a floating deck hydro they just don't work as good as the LB's.

VINCE AT THE BUZZER!

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

:rolleyes: Here we go again.

5. bubble boy

i know, i know, this is an issue that has has been beaten to death here. I just now got around to registering on the site, so i haven't had a chance to put my two cents in. To jones, its not about anyone being a believer, its whatever works best for each guy(or gal). I would never doubt the guy using a 72" deck because I see many HUGE companies doing just that. They surely are doing something right. For myself, this spring price as well as practicality was an issue. Trying to expand (as always) and the extra cost of a trailer and super heavy duty ferris, etc would have been to much. Plus I had very limited experience with a walk behind, so I figured I'd get my feet wet with an entry level product. About $3000 Cdn for the sutech stealth. to compare it to other walk behinds is unfair (it will lose), but put it up against your LB - you'll be waiting for your guy to finish trimming. but make sure your dealer is quality-you'll see him a bit more than you'd like. If I had a penny for every belt i've snapped...Anyway, if you're in the Markham area ( you either know where that is or you don't)i know a good dealer email me.
    Enough said.
    Gotta be up with the birds.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

To Jones:

Since you use LB's for the majority of your work, I have a question for you.
    How do your self propelled cables hold up for you? How often are you replacing them?
    I ask you this because you use your LB's so much. We don't come close to touching upon the hours you use yours, but this year we are having rotten luck with the self propelled cables.
    What part do you find you replace the most on your LB's?
    Thanks in advance for the reply.

7. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Bubbleboy,
    Sutech Stealth??? Please. Been there done that. Kooy Bros. had 'em for years. 3 blades on a 33?? Wait 'till you try that on some long turf.

Major Tom,
    Cables are a problem on the LB's, design flaw for sure. My dealer fixes them cheap and tries to get LB/ Toro for the cost. Small price to pay.

8. bubble boy

jones, never had a problem in long grass-yet. That is, as long as i don't mulch. side shoot it all. After a quick blow all looks good. With my toro 21" shooting is not even an option.

As for LB's self propelled, dealers here don't push them as they all end up coming back for cables, tying up their repairs wating lists. I heeded their advice and stayed away.

And lawn boy push mowers will last forever, but c'mon-two feet n' a heartbeat? I'd be dusted by lunch.

9. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Bubbleboy,
    How long have you been using the Stealth? I had terrible results with it. Get a good 32, Toro or Exmark, you'll save $$$ in the long run.