1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" trim mower

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Clay, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

I was wondering what engine choices the 21" Exmark offers?

And is the machine a Toro clone? I was wondering if the Exmark comes with the same kicker plates under the deck or if it is a smooth underside which would make it a better bagger?

Thanks, Clay
  2. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

3. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Take a look at thier web site
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The two mowers are nearly identical. No the Exmark does not have the "Kickers".

Bother machines perform well and either would be a good choice for commercial use.

5. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Thanks for your helpful and respectful reply... I have run Toro 21s for over 15 years, but most of that time was in Vegas... The Oregon coast does not mulch the same and the grass just sticks all over the kicker plates anyway, so they really become of no use. That should make the Exmark better for these conditions and allow it to be a better bagger...

I could not find the answer to that question on the website and with Toro offering the Honda engine option I thought Exmark might be considering the same, but I guess not???

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am not sure what engine choices you will have now. In our area, all the Exmark 21's with the Kawasaki, 4 stroke engine are gone. In fact, I just bought the last one my dealer,(and the distributor) had. That engine is no more on the Exmark/Toro 21. The 2 stroke Suzuki is also a thing of the past. Most toro dealers still have some of those left. I was told by the Exmark rep. here, that the Exmark/Toro 21's will have a Honda engine in the future. I have not seen any of those yet.
  7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mowing man is well informed. The Honda powered 21's will be arriving sometime late next month.

The engine is rated at 5.5 hp with typical Honda performance and power.

8. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

There ya go.... There's the answer I was looking for.... The addition of the legendary honda engine on the Exmark frame without the kicker plates should prove to be an excellent choice for my conditions!!! :)

Thanks for the answer mowingman, and your help Terry....

9. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

To be exact there are a few more subtle differences, nothing major though. The Exmark deck does not have the clean out port/hole that is on the Toro, and the gear selector is a small lever on the bottom of the mower beside the belt tensoin adjustment knob. Otherwise identical, we have three Toro's and one Emark 21"

from AL

Clay, you can take the "kicker plates" off your Toro 21"s in about 10 min..