1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" trim mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Need a new trim mower. Looked at snapper for about 799.00, exmark for 830.00. prefered the snapper ( higher grip). Also saw the 26" high wheel snapper 6 speed , looks interesting for 999.00 anybody have one? Other opinions of 21" mowers?
  2. script

script LawnSite Member

The only three 21" mowers that I'm familiar with is the Honda, Snapper, and Toro. I like Honda but in my area parts are hard to get, and the Snapper is easy to work on when things break, but my first choice would be the Toro. The Toro gives a better cut and mulches better than the other two, and has held up for three years with minor problems. In my area the Toro sells for $875.00.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a Toro 21" commercial with a suzuki engine. I dont know if they
    still offer that engine but its been a good one. The Exmark is really
    a Toro with the Exmark name on it. I had a Snapper before & never
    liked the way it cut or bagged. If you get a Toro or Exmark and are
    planning on doing a lot of bagging, get the blade for a Toro 21"
    Vaccu-deck mower. It bolts right on and works great in wet and/or
    high grass. Hope this helps you out.

4. Tropical Trim

Tropical Trim LawnSite Member

Honda makes some pretty good 21" mowers. Models HRC 216 and HRC 215. Both of these are hydrostatically driven. HRC 216 has a speed control at your finger tips. HRC215 has only two speeds high and low which is changed with a lever on the mower deck. Both of these come with roto stop which is a great feature. Plus the reliability of that Honda engine...one pull and your off to work...more than two pulls....check your fuel level!
  5. I bought a 26" Snapper last year to mow a couple of places I couldn't get into with anything larger. It gets done faster than a 21" but I think the drive machanism is a little wimpy for the size of the mower. It has a little trouble even pulling is's self up the ramp into the trailer. I even had to replace the little "drive tire" and I only use it on two lawns. But then to me it's a trim mower, all stop and go. On open areas it really delivers. And that Suburu Robin engine is great.
  6. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

21 is not a trim mower. Get a Sthil FS85 to trim.
    The Lawnboy 21 comm is the best 21 in my experience.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

TORO! 'Nuff said. I have a residential Toro 21". Super Recycler II. It mulches great, although I haven't seen a Honda mulch. I would like a Honda but am a little skeptical of it's mulching capabilities as told by a few people. I've heard that the personal pace on the Toro's is hard to use so I reccomend the Toro Commercial with the 3-speed and blade clutch. That blade clutch sure comes in handy in transport of concrete, dirt, gravel, any place that has debris and you don't want to push the mower. I would go with Toro if you're mulching, Honda if you're bagging, and I'd stay away from Snapper. I've heard some stuff about them and they look kinda cheap. Yes Jones, 21" are trim mowers. Maybe not for you only 'cuz that's the only equipment you run besides your trimmer, whether it be a Stihl FS 85 or not.
  8. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

Has any one with a Toro 21" tried the Toro"Atomic" mulching blade or a Gator blade on theirs. Always seemed to need a little more lift.Mine bags great in drier conditions ,also I see Accelerator makes an aluminum collector for the 21" Toro's now.
  9. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

I'm giving up on the trim mower debate but I do use a 36 as well.
    The LB is better than the Toro or Honda if you have to do any side discharge because it's lighter and has a designated discharge chute. The Toro uses a plug which clogs alot easier. If you're doing striclty mulching, which I can't do because of heavy growth, the Toro is a good machine.
  10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I will agree that Lawnboy will side-discharge better than any other 21" out there because of it's "ecentric" design. Toro has that plug thing that I would believe to be worthless to use for side-discharging.