21" Trim Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Whispers, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Whispers

Whispers LawnSite Member

Currently using Dixie Choppers & 36 & 48" walk behind mowers. We do need a smaller mower on occasion. We have gone through several 21" trim mowers with little success. Almost one year disposable models. Have tried Toro, Honda and Huskvarna although I know there are several models to choose from. Too much plastic. We do have one bullet proof Exmark which seems pretty stout but spendy. Looking for opinions on the best 21" out there.

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a commercial 21 from.honda. they are practically bulletproof

3. scag2015

scag2015 LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now I'm only operating (in this case mines a 20in) little mowers. (I'll probably be getting a belt drive walk behind in about a week or so) and I can't say from experience with these but those exmark 21's look awesome! What I've been using (and has been serving me very very well) is a lawn boy 20in self propelled pull/electric start mulcher/bagger mower:) but I don't think it's a commercial module but it's been working awesome for me:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Try honda mower. You must using them an awful lot to have them only last a year. My crafstman has lasted me 2.5 years. And craftsman is no where near a commercial mower. I only use it about 5.8 hours a week in the spring, half of that in the summer.

5. JonesLawnCareWV

JonesLawnCareWV LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a Husqvarna HU775BH all season last year. Was $329.95 originally, so not commercial, and not top-of-the-line homeowner either. Briggs engine. 3-5 hours mowing per day, 4 days per week. Occasional oil change, new blade, belt, and air filter for this year. Sounds like it did the day I took it out of the box. Maintenance and care is key. A non-commercial mower won't last you if your guys slam it around, don't strap it down during transport, run it full-speed into trees or fences, etc. I took care of mine. Still looks brand new despite minor scuffs to the plastic housing around the motor.

That being said, there are a lot of good reviews on the Toro Super Recyclers. You can get them with Honda engines, which means it will last. Top of the line homeowner model, ~$520 or so, superb mulching, great bagging and discharge. Reviews here on LawnSite and elsewhere say proper maintenance and care lets them run full-strength for 3-5 years. OakNut, another LCO on here, bought a new SR4 after loving his first one. Pretty sure the first one still ran fine when he got the new one, he just mentioned getting it while the dealer had it. I'm personally picking up an SR4 once the season gets rolling, because it has a beautiful cut and essentially negates any reason to bag or discharge on a lawn.

Sounds to me like your guys are rough on equipment. If it isn't a primary mower and you only use it for trim mowing occasionally, it should last longer than a year. Unless the guys are rough and/or it doesn't get proper maintenance.

Decision comes down to: Take the time to maintain your mower, and make sure your guys take care of it. Or let them be rough, no maintenance, and buy a new, cheap, throw-away mower every year. My only suggestion would be, don't put $500 into a push mower if you still think they will break it in a season.

But what do I know, I'm just a solo operator. :)

6. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark makes a 30 inch rear bagger for 1800. That might be out of your price range, but is saves you so much time and it barley uses any gas.

7. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

im all for buying good cheap used ones off craiglist for anywhere from $50 to $100 and when they go move on to the next one , just stock pile a few .
    and ide change oil frequently , any cheap oil but keep it from being run too long .

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im a Snapper Hi Vac Commerical mower fan. Mine is 12 years old and still in commercial use. They are pricey 800$ to 900$.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

We pay $1200 for a honda commercial up here…too much IMO
    unless you are mowing with it everyday.

I bought it for the same reason… It needs to take a beating riding on the trailer and not doing much, but when you need it, it needs to start and mow… so it gets neglected a lot.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

just dont get personal pace drive