21" walk behind advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simply Green Lawn Care, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Simply Green Lawn Care

Simply Green Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from TN

Are Honda commercial walk behind mowers good or should I explore another brand?

I'm interested in a 21" model.

Thanks,

Bo

2. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

My experience, they are good and hold up well, but they are high $$.

3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Honda and Toro both make good 21" commercial mowers. Those two are pretty much the industry leaders in that department.

4. northeastpropertymgmt

northeastpropertymgmt LawnSite Member

i have a honda. make sure it has the red and wite engen with the ball berings last forever but make shure it has oil:cry: i forgot that. it was a replacment for my tractor. the 6.5 on the 21 is a good motor lasts log little price but worth it.

5. TridentLM

TridentLM LawnSite Member

I started as a LCO a bit over a year (I'm still a rookie) and have been using 2 residential Murray brand mowers for my customers (my original mowers for my home). I take very good care of my equipment but I've had more challenges keeping them going the past six months... break downs are costly especially if you have no back-up. Done mucho research. Checked every opinion on every thread on this site and decide to buy this week the 21" Honda Hydrostatic Commerical Mower. Then I used it yesterday and loved it.......did I say I loved it...dude it was like night and day. The hydro drive certainly is a huge advantage I mowed my customer in about 4 hours and could really tell the difference had I used my push POS Murray I would have been wiped out. I really like the grass catcher and it's design. I can't believe I waited this long to finally get one. But is it pricey.... $1,059 out the door (OR has no sales tax). If you can swing it go with it. I had thought about used but I've had no luck in my area for good used equipment. Honda's are great equipment, my opinion as of yesterday and I doubt it will change. Good Luck....

6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

yes honda dose no wrongs when it comes to mowers

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Yes the Honda Commercial series is one of if not the best 21 on the market. I have one that has over 2000 hrs on it and still runs like yesterday new. Keep oil and the bag cleaned and you will love the Honda. It is heavy though. I have a light lawn boy for the early early spring and late winter when the ground is soft. The Honda is right at 115 lbs. Not a light weight but does last. Well worth the money. 1000 today and a good 3 years of use, or 300 2x a year which brand is really expensive????

8. climber

climber LawnSite Member

IMO I think snappers the best. But honda makes the engine thats on my snapper and i love it! No complaints here.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

This all depends on what you are wanting. Do you want to bag? I like the snapper however I find when the grass is wet the tube to the bag clogs bigtime. The honda does not clog using the high lift. Period. Minor build up also. Something about red paint that grass sticks too. My toro walk behind sticks bad the old murry that I used to mow my parents house with 20 years ago stuck bad. The grey honda paint does not stick as bad as the rest of the paints that I have seen??? Reason?? I am not sure. I get build up on the green Lawn boy paint more than the grey honda paint.

10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i use honda, yes they are heavy but engine is durable and the body is tough