21" Walk Behind Blade Hub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pyrocare, Sep 1, 2001.

1. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

On my 21" push mower the hub that holds the blades has 2 little knob like things on it to keep the blade in place. Today I noticed the knobs have worn down to where the blade is raddling around when the mower is running.

:confused: If you guys have any suggestions on how to fix this any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Jim's Lawn Care
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Isn't there supposed to be a bolt to tighten up to hold the blade solid? Are you sure you have it installed right? A blade should not be moving at all except around and around.
  3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

wingnuts??, if I were having that problem, i would just replace the knob type screws with bolt that would go in a socket so i could tighten the blde down securily:)
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you give us a brand, someone will be able to help you better.

Someone may want to move this to the mechanics and repair section too??

Are you talking about a little stub on both sides of the center bolt for your blade? If those are whats worn down its okay, you just have to make sure there is a lock washer on your bolt and that the blade is balalnced and good and tight on there.
  5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this a John Deere 21"? If so then all you do is remove the hub and replace. The hub slides onto a keyed shaft that drives the blade. Remove the center bolt, slide the hub off and replace. If the hub seems stuck, you may have to work it off with a hammer and , or use a gear puller if really stuck. And remember to put some oil or grease on this shaft when installing the new one to prevent another stuck hub, and you may want to use some emory cloth to buff off any residue.