1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" walk behind for residential jobs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KliftonJK, Dec 9, 2003.

1. KliftonJK

KliftonJK LawnSite Member

I have contracted a couple smaller residential jobs, and am wanting to provide the absolute best cut possible.

I currently have a Honda HRC216HXA, and have been using this same model mower since around '95--but, I have never been truly satisified with the quality of finish it provides. Plus, it's heavy, so if the ground is at all soft, it leaves a fairly deep track.

What solutions are there, for a very high quality finish cut, from a 21" deck mower?

2. KliftonJK

Oh yeah, I have a very good relationship with a John Deere dealership (i.e. related), so if there is anything in the John Deere line, that anyone has experience in, that provides a superior cut, let me know! :)
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search on 21" mowers. This site has discussed this subject many times, some of the threads are recent.
  4. KliftonJK

Yeah, I did a long search after I posted, and found tons of info! :) Thank-you!

I tried to delete this post actually, but it wouldn't let me since 10 minutes had elapsed.

I think I'm going to look into getting a Lawn-Boy 22261 to supplement the Honda.
  5. jgautreau

jgautreau LawnSite Member

I'm getting a 21" Snapper Commercial. Snapper has a great reputation and the Hi-Vac system is a great add on. As far as the cut goes your blades would be the factor in that I would think, and Snapper mowers are pretty light.
  6. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I run a Deere JS63s. I have one with a 6.5 hp and the other 6.75. The 6.75 has great power, bags really well and is AWESOME at mulching. If you have connections at a Deere dealer I'd sure look into them or the JS75 ( a little heavier). I've run Hondas and Deeres. The Hondas were WAY better at bagging but can't touch the Deere on mulching.
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

You been running the same Honda since 1995? Time to update your Honda, IMO. I think your going to find a new honda will cut just a clean as anything else on the market. Just keep the blade sharp. If you're not always getting a clean cut, I bet you're bot balancing and sharpening your blade often enough. Check out the magna matic balancer and sharpner. You'll be a LOT happier.

I think if you change to another commercial 21" you'll be very let down compared to the Hondas. There just isn't anything else out there that can top the smooth features and the design of the hondas.

Of course, that's just my opinion - I could be wrong.
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I also can agree with Klifton. I bought a Honda mower last fall and I have not been satisfied either. I does well on thick turf but on thinner cultivars it sometimes produces blade wash, or hydro wash. Even when you sharpen the blades. So what I did was use the slowest gear on the thinner lawns. It helps a little.
  9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been considering a new 21" as well. However, I like HIGH rear wheels (the big wheels). Why are there no commercial 21" mowers with those? To me they are sooo much easier to manuver. Anyone know of one?
  10. toro proline 21 has been the best all around 21 inch for me.
    Ive run honda ,deere exmark metro 21 toro clone and the proline out mulches any 21 on the market and bags great to.
    Look at the back of the trailer behind the ztr and you can get a pretty good look at my toro 21.