21" walk behind. Which to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, May 28, 2003.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have a need for a 21" mower. It will be used very little. I need bag/mulch/discharge capabilities.

It will be use to mow 1 small fenced area and 1 slope to small for 48" "E" tt.

I have owned a John Deere JS60. Thought it was underpowered with a 6hp b&s. Bogged down bad in dry mulching conditions.

I have looked at a Toro with the Personal Pace drive system. Don't know much about the different 21" mowers.................

Understand that this mower will see about 1 hour of service a week.

What will be good for my needs?

2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere JX85 if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise a JX75. Stay away from Honda, I've heard good things about Toro, We may be switching our machines over to Toro or Exmark since the JX85 is no longer being made.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

A cheap one. I really wouldn't be spending alot on a machine if its not going to be working for me.

4. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

Toro or Exmark Metro 21- self propelled. They are both almost identical and bullet proof. You will have it forever. They mulch and bag very well and are easy to switch over without tools. I've never used the discharge on any of my Toros.

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Toro GTS when they first came out in the 80's and its still running strong. can you believe I'm still using the original blade on it :laugh: :laugh: that tells you how much I have used it. Get a Toro and don't look back

6. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I just purchesed the 21" personal pace..electric start. I looked for months, and wanted the $350 6.5 hp but the dealer was out of stock so they gave me the electric start for $375. I really enjoy using it, turn the key and walk. and best of all.......RED!

7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Maybe check into a Lawn Boy mower? Either that or a Toro or Snapper.

8. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Stay Away from Honda ? Why I have 2 and have used one for 4 years 20 hours a week 32 to 24 weeks a year no problem until some bozo thought he would be funny and cut all of the throttle cables on all my machines on the trailer ! That set me off ! cost me a small fortune ! I would buy a dozen more Hondas if I needed more 21" mowers !

9. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

Toro Super Recycler is working well for me. Personal Pace is easy to use. I think this mower will last me, it doesn't see a lot of use - less than 2 hours a week - I am using a Proline 36" anywhere I can get it. I had a Honda but seem under powered for mulching, bagged good though.

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Stay away from Honda? The Honda commercials are hard to beat. Last forever. Stay away from LawnBoy, trust me. I have 2, 4.5 hp, and 6.5 hp, both commercial, both 2cycle, both are a pain in the You-know-what.