1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21" walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KillerShark, May 5, 2001.

1. KillerShark

KillerShark LawnSite Member

I haven't seen too much listed on 21" walkbehinds. Surely I'm not the only one that's still using one. I currently own the Honda HRC216 commercial walkbehind... haven't had any trouble with it. Honda is pretty proud of it though, I paid $950 out the door about 5 yrs ago. So what are some of ya'll using?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We have a JD 21" with the Kaw motor that is about 6 years old. It only gets used on a few accounts 1 day a week, the day we do the lawns with in ground swimming pools. It was close to $800 with the bagger and all the extras.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a residential Toro Super Recycler II. It's also my primary mower. It's been a hard worker and it's about 7 years old. I put maybe around 50 hours on it last year and it only broke down once. I would like to get a Honda Commercial 21" but I'm gonna bid a couple large jobs (1 and 2 acre jobs) so I'm not gonna get a 21". Instead, I should hopefully get a 1994 Groundmaster with a 44" (I think that's the year). I think the guy wanted like $1200 for it. I asked this question a while back and some people thought I should go for it. I still like 21" mowers though. ;)
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1989 Honda HRA 216 with a 2 speed shaft-drive transmission. Got it when I was driving a 82 Ford Courier in high school and mowing only with the 21". One heck of a mower. I dropped it out of the back of the truck less than a month after I bought it, but it never missed a beat. I think I paid over $800 for it back then. It only gets used once a week though.
  5. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Some old Honda from around 87. Bought it used and barely use it. It starts right up though and is depedable. Don't know why, but I hate using a 21" mower. I'd rather scythe it with the weedeater. Russ
  6. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Just picked up 2 yards today and my 48" won't fit through the gate. Was wondering about the choices out there for 21" mowers. Never thought about them costing that much. Will prob. buy my 36" Deere WB back for 200-300.
  7. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

oneEXMARKfan, if it's in good shape, jump on it for that price! Russ
  8. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

It was a good deal, and in good shape when I bought it (used)6 years ago for 400.00 ..used it for 5 years. and sold it last season for 600.00 to a good friend.......fixing to call him, and see if he want's to sell it for 300. or less. (I took excellent care of it while I had it, and he's only put about 30 hours on it. (belt drive....12.5 HP [FB460-V]
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I run 3 JD 21" with Kaw. Engs. They run 6 days a week. The oldest is 7 years old and still does not use much oil. I think they're great machines.I had a top-of-the-line Honda once, worst mower I ever owned. Used it one season and got rid of it. It had no "guts". In haevy grass it would not mulch worth a darn. Engine would just bog down and die. Two dealers said it was fine and running properly. You couldn't give me a Honda.:(
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If it cant be done with a 32 wb then i dont do it. Yes i am too lazy to walk lol.