21" WB for under $600????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Youngster, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Youngster

Youngster LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was just looking at new 21" walkbehinds. I want something just to use as a trim mower or for an occasional small yard I cant put my 36" wb on. I was looking at the JD JA65, i like the features it has for the price. I like the idea of having a BBC. I was also looking at the snapper EFRP216516BV. This is the one with the OHV engine. My uncle has one of these and has had nothing but luck with it. Also I was looking at the snapper with the Kawasaki motor. I'm just trying to get a decent 21" for $600 or under. I only use it as a trim mower, or for a couple very small yards I do and gated back yards. I would like something with varible speed, and a GOOD mulcher. please help!

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

most of those are under $600, heck i got a 22" highwheel, self propelled, 6.5 eager one engine, craftsman mulching bagging for $350 i think it was. so i would guess that u could get a top of the line one for $600 no problem.
  3. mcmurrytw

mcmurrytw LawnSite Member

I just purchased as Toro 21" mower with a 5.5 hp Kawasaki engine and love it. They technically list this as a residential mower but it is very close to a commercial. The residential warranty is 10 years. I paid $599 for it. Toro's model number is the 20046. It has a great mulching deck and has the personal pace self propelled system. This was as close to commerical as I could fine without breaking the bank. I used in high grass area where other push mowers would bog down and the Toro didn't ever slow down. Great mower.
  4. 21" lawnboy commercial duty $599.

If you are only going to use it once in awhile, get something from Lowe's, Home Depot ect... price range from $250-$650. They do sell Honda's harmonies which are not true commercial, but many people around here use them.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

youngster--please don't think my response as a bash but based on what criteria you posted, you'll never pay for a $600 PUSH MOWER.

personally, if I had a 36 and that wouldn't do the job, I'd rethink my market.

but that is you and I am me. so I dunno. good luck in your choice.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Definitly agree with Geo! A 36 inch mower should br able to cut 99% of your lawns fully. Go get a 120 dollar push mower for those few houses with 25 inch gates!
  7. Youngster

Youngster LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I do mainly small residential yards and am able to use my 36in on just about all of them. There are a few that are small enough where I actually find it easier to use a 21" and a couple of my yards, I cant get a 36" through the gate to the back yard. Also, my father is helping me pay for it so he can use it to cut his yard, or so I can cut his yard with it : ) Thanks for the input!!!

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

youngster, before you go out and buym think about this, how many lawns will it take you to pay that mower off? how long will it take you to get back to profitablity? how long do you plan on mowing lawns? and if you feel you are getting a great mower that will last you for a few years then buy it
  9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I needed a new push mower (I only have 2 that require one). I saw a guy selling a couple so I stopped. Got a 3.5hhp MTD for $35.00. If your not going to use it much just get a cheapo.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I find it a little hardcto comprehend a lawn that I couldn't use a 36" on. If it's gates that are your problem, then you need to ask someone how to get through these gates. there are many instructions here, including some that I wrote on how to negotiate gates.