21 yards of Mulch!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Kivan12, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Kivan12

Kivan12 LawnSite Member

New to this forum!

Needs about a day of clean up and edging, and another day to lay it down.

the cost for just the mulch is 630 dollars. I figured 75 dollars per yard installed which came to $1,575. The company i work for now charged 34 per man hour for clean. It will be myself and my buddy on this job at 34 per man hr. , if we do a full days clean up, it comes to around 544 dollars for clean up. Around 2 grand seems really high to me. can anyone give me there opinion, just an fyi the mulch is 30 dollars a yard! Do residents really pay this?
    It is 2 houses next to eachother, on is the daughter and one is the mother. both houses want done together!

Thanks!

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Don't look at like one job,it's 2 so your price is half. What did they say?

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Is the mulch price wholesale or retail? If you are a licensed business you should be able to get wholesale pricing. Hardwood runs around $18/yd and dyed is $23-28. Seems like a lot of time for cleanup. Am assuming some pruning is involved.

Yes, residents do pay the amount you cited. Dyed black mulch is $38/yd retail plus $50 for delivery with a minimum of 5 yds.

Hope you get the job!

4. Kivan12

Kivan12 LawnSite Member

thanks for the replys, i am sending the bid to them tomorrow, if its a good price ill get the job! I sent my license app in havent heard anything yet, that is the retail price. 1700 for clean up, re-edging and 21 yards mulch delivery and installed.

good price? to much? not enough?

5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I thought you said 2K? We get these jobs everyday, Yes! customers pay this all the time, I would have charged 2K

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I had this problem when I first started out about thinking all the pricing I was coming up with was high. Should only take you a couple of losses before you get with the program or quit.

Don't forget to add in delivery fees and if your doing that much clean-up dump fees as well.

7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree. Large mulch jobs and clean-ups are worth the cost.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

A friend and I co-labored on a 21 yard mulch job over the winter. It was a tough install on a very steep slope. We charged $1500 to apply the mulch. No real cleanup was required. So, yes, your price is reasonable for the scope of the work you described.

9. Kivan12

Kivan12 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys!

10. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would say your price is right in line. I just yesterday finished up an 18 yard mulch job and a 4ish hour cleanup and the price was 1675. My mulch cost was only 570 though.

It took a day and a half with two people