1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fishnetman, Dec 24, 2003.

1. fishnetman

fishnetman LawnSite Member

anyone doing it with just "21"
  2. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

Well yes we run 2 only because we have small yards and 30"" back gates in UK. I am sure the guys in the US use 21"" as a "trimming " mower, what with the 48"" 54"" 60"" 72"" that are available....

On some we double up taking a lawn each or both together (42"")

I do get a nice cut from a Honda 536QXE, but very expensive @$2400 in UK. You can get a Murry 21"" much cheaper, get a powered one with a roller for stripes and your'e on you way good luck.
  3. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

We run John Deere JX85 21" mowers. Almost all the properties in this area are 1/4 acre or less. My business has been around for 12 years basically using 21" and we have been quite succesful. You just have to use the best mowers to suit the size properties you have. To use anything larger than a 48" would actually slow us down.
  4. mowitup

mowitup LawnSite Member

I run a Toro 21". It works great for smaller yards and Toro makes a pretty decent mulch. I mowed up 1 acre of overgrown weeds in a couple hours (ok, maybe 3). I wish the mulch bag was bigger though. I have a customer that I have to empty the bag twice in the back yard.