$2195 belt vs. $3895 Hydro Exmark WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sniggly, Apr 11, 2003.

1. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

These are the prices I was quoted.....how can I justify the extra 1700.00 for the hydro? Someone please explain this to me.......

2. spalmer97

spalmer97 LawnSite Member

Deck size, engine type, grip style? Will you be cutting on Hills?

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Well, there are a LOT of expensive parts that you are getting on a Hydro unit!

Here are replacement part prices....

2 Hydro Pumps = $700
    2 Hydro Wheel Motors = $600
    4 Hydro Hoses = $80
    2 Tire upcharges = $56
    Hydro Tank = $???
    Hydro Belt = $???

Thats over $1600 in just aftermarket replacement parts! Not to mention all the other little things that will certainly add up to another $500 or so.

So, you are getting a better mower with more parts. But you are also getting a much more maneuverable mower, and often times a larger, higher HP engine to go with it.

Unless your WB will be used like I do mine ~ 3 hrs/week, you owe it to yourself to invest in a Hydro right away, so you don't waste your money trying to sell the belt drive later to replace it with a hydro.

Hope this answered your question

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

You wil be Twice as productive in the use of your time

The units re-sale value should be atleast 30% greater if you plan to sell the unit down the road

When it is raining or wet out ==> you will truely realize the value of a hydro

When you are going in n out of areas (under orange trees) .... around objects ..... thru gates ...... up or down slopes ==> you will truely realize the value of a hydro

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Man, I hate those ORANGE trees.

We have tons of them up here in PA!!!

:eek: :D

6. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Sniggly!!

Demo, Demo & Demo some more.... I was were you were at last year. I didn't want to pay the extra money for the hydro until I used one.

We will save a lot more time in the long run.... with the belt driven I have heard you need to slow down in wet grass because the belts will slip, but I have never seen it work, I left the dealer with a hydro after doing a demo.

Sniggly, you can also do a search also on Hydro vs. Belt driven.

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Take the $1700 and divide it by the humber of hours you think you will use the machine over the course of it's lifetime...say 3000 hours total. You're talking 57 cents more an hour to run a hydro unit over a belt-driven.

Now figure in the less fatigue you will have at the end of the day, the increased manueverability you will have, and the greater productivity as well. Now the 57 cents per days is seeming less.

Do the math...

8. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

the hydro is worth the extra $. productivity will be the best thing to happn to your business.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

It would be simple for me. If it were my primary mower or going right along side another mower all the time, it would be a hydro. If it were a secondary mower for backup or a few small lawns or backyards, it would be the belt drive.

10. For that much of a price diff, it should have more ponies too....