1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

21s... push vs self propelled

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewbieOwner, May 25, 2002.

1. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

I wanted some advice from the pros...

I went to town yesterday (rain day) to do some equipment shopping... We won't get into the experiences at the walker dealer (was looking for a used walker w/ 32" deck) Lets just say I'll drive all the way across the province before I go see him again! (Apparently since I don't have any grey hair, I don't need service!)

Anyway, I was looking at many different 21s, didn't buy any... Mostly because I wanted to ask you guys. I've always run 21" push mowers, will self propelled save me ANY time? I scoot along pretty good with the push mowers, and the ones I was demo-ing, didn't seem to go much faster than a half decent walk. Doesn't seem like it would save me any time? Tho I could see how I would be less exhausted at the end of the day...

Thoughts? I don't really need a 'Big' mower (I do now have a pair of properties I can use one on tho, 6k sq ft bank, 12k sq ft strip mall) But I can push those pretty quick and easily... (Have had a request from the municipality to do a 48k sq ft park, debating whether I really want to deal with the politics of doing that one)

2. turfhead9

turfhead9 LawnSite Member

Arians comerrcial the only way to go
  3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if it'll save you time, but I wouldn't push a mower all day long for anything. Back when my business was owned by my step-father (8-9 years ago now) we pushed for 10 years; he wouldn't buy anything self-propelled. When I took over the first thing I did was go self-propelled. It's worth it, if you're using your small mower all day long.

After many years of trying junk mowers (and one very nice Kubota 21" bagger) I finally found the mower of my dreams: the 21" Toro Proline with Kawi engine. You can bag or mulch with it (and only takes a second to switch over) but I quickly stopped bagging after seeing a) the time saved, and b) no difference in quality.

Get a commercial 21" walkbehind mower, not a push mower. ;)
  4. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

Didn't see any decent Toro's (just the homeowner stuff) but I was drooling profusely over some of the offerings at the John Deere dealer (can get parts local, big +). And that $$$ honda hydrostat...

I looked at the exmark 21", can't say I was overly impressed. Tho the Turf Tracer 32" hydro was very nice!

I almost wish I could get a 32"WB with decent bagging capabilities. (Not the bulky boxes on the side)

5. I'm with TGCummings-I wouldn't want to push a mower all day. You'll get that gray hair you were talking about real quick.
    If its a situation that you don't have the means to purchase a good self propelled com. mower to start, then get the cheapest push you can and use the first money that comes in to buy one.

I've run ariens 3 years and have been happy with them.
    Before that toro 2 stroke- was a good mower also
  6. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

I second the toro 21 proline except that I would go with the suzuki two stroke over the kawi.
  7. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Fellow Canadian

Spend your money wisely and buy the best self propelled you can get your hands on. I use a Toro 21" commercial. I have seen guys using Hondas and Snapppers. I think the next one I will try is Ariens. The Toro bagger sucks. Pushing is tiring and boring. I always waste money and time on things that I shouldn't have bought like a rear engine rider and a belt drive Walkbehind but I had fun trying it and learning. I now have a Ferris with a Pro-slide from Novaecorp.com and my Toro 21" commercial that just keeps going and going. I do 60 residential and 3 commercial on my own.

8. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I definately reccomend going for a self-propelled 21. They may not seem faster than pushing at the dealer but when you spend all day pushing, especially in the spring, your speed will decrease. As for models, the Toro Proline, John Deere, Lawn Boy and Honda are all excellent choices. I have the John Deere 21" JX85 commercial unit with the Kawasaki engine and the Toro Proline 21" with the 6.5 Briggs engine on it. Both are excellent units. The Kawasaki engine is marvelous but the Briggs is quite good too. The Toro is an awesome mulcher as well. Good luck.
  9. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Hey newbie, when you start approaching the age of 40 like many of us you'll be kissing that self propelled mower everyday. Funny how the legs just don't move as fast when you get past 35 and it's really nice to have that 3 speed to help you move the mower along and up some hills... of course lately I've been sitting on my butt more mowing yards if i can help it. The prolines are nice I ran some for a while, now I'm running a commercial lawnboy and I really love the lightweight, it's so easy to move around with one hand.