22.5 degree fitting

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by spray-head-dave, Oct 26, 2005.

1. spray-head-dave

spray-head-dave LawnSite Member

Has anyone used this new fitting? I think it will come in handy at times. My distributor has never heard of it. I saw it advertised in a magazine but can't find any to try.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Theres been so many times I've wanted one, but most of the time you can manage with a combination of 45's or '90's

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

22.5°; 15°; and 11.25° ells or bends, while normally found in plumbing specialty wholesalers as DWV (non-pressure) fittings, are available from wholesalers that carry Spears products. The downside to those that would like to use them is that the 22.5° are only available in 2" and up and the others are 1.5" and up. And check the price!! They are nearly 3 times as much as a 45° ell. I can see pool/spa guys using them more than irrigation guys.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Spears has them, I've seen them but my main supplier doesn't carry them because there is not much general call for them. There are other "weird" things that we use that our supplier stocks just for us that his other customers don't generally use either. He gets them by the case and just holds them for us for when we need them. Our glue is one item that he stocks just for us but you won't see it out on his shelves. We also use 1" FIP x 3/4" MIP (and 3/4" FIP x 1/2" MIP adapters) fittings to quickly change the end of a swing joint to a smaller size. We use these when changing sprinklers to a newer type that have the smaller inlets; i.e. Toro 300s to Hunter PGJs.

5. PurpHaze

Or get a pipe heater. On very rare occasions I run into something that because of lack of room I just plug in the heater, insert pipe until it softens up and then form it in the configuration I want. :p

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sixteenth bends? Makes poly pipe (and angle zone valves) look better and better by the moment.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

only ever used them on 6,8 and 10" pipes.

8. PurpHaze

But... that takes all the "creative fun" out of the whole designing and installation process. :rolleyes:

9. PurpHaze

You can actually get any angle turn you want by installing a 90 looking "up" at the end of the run, close glue another 90 to it and turn in any degree direction you wish. :p

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen installs with all the zone valves in the basement, done before there were those sch 80 unions, and one of them had a few 'off' angles compensated for with pairs of ells. Not quite hall of shame material, but it did have a distillery look to it. I wish I'd photographed it before I ripped it all out.