22" Toro self propelled trans replacement...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ltw77, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

I know, I know, should have gone with commercial equip. but 3 yrs ago I was testing the waters for business as well as for myself. I didn't want to dive into the costly commercial grade stuff til I was sure this is what I wanted to do. Now that I got that outta the way, This is the first mower I bought and I love it and I want to keep it if I can manage to fix it myself. The trans or gearbox is slipping to the point that I am basically pushing this thing around instead of the other way around. I took everything apart and have ordered a new gearbox. My question is do you guys think it's rediculous to spend $60 and some of my free time with this repair vs. dumping ol' faithful for some new equipment? I obviously feel it is worth it being I am satisfied with its performance, but I just wanted to hear what you guys thought on the subject.

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

It should buy you some time, but in the end not sure ifs it worth it. Bought both of my 22's from HD. They would not honor the so called 2 year warranty when they broke.

The big wheel was used every day, my small rear wheel sat at my son's place as a back up. The front tranny gave out, then the rear...HD sucks, and so does their Toro line...my 36'' works circles around the HD crap. Buy commerical.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As long as the rest of the unit is in good shape/still runs good I don't see why not, You sure can't replace it for 60 buxs.

Now, If you were paying a shop to fix it that would be a different story.

4. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

yeah, this mower is just for ditch lines and places my Q36 can't go. So the list of uses is short. I guess time will tell if this was a good choice. I agree, definately can't replace it for $60!!

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Replace the drive belt while your at it.

6. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

LTW,

If it were mine I would put the 60 bucks in and the little bit of time to keep it going. Somewhere down the road buy a commerical grade, but as long as it is doing what you need done I think you are making the right choice. Just my two cents worth....

Eric D

7. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

Check! At first I thought the belt had stretched to the limit of adjustment. I put the new belt on and there was no improvement so I kept taking parts off til I found the culprit. I knew it sounded funny......"here's your sign"!!

8. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

just got my new gearbox in for my toro. they sent me the whole axle assembled with the gearbox. A+ for toro!!! Feels brand new again!! Can't wait to use it............