22" walk behinds - commercial or homeowner?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ooomwizard, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

My partner has a couple of 'homeowner' versions of 22" walk behinds. They're in sorry shape (wobbly wheels mainly) and I'm thinking about buying some new walk behinds.

He says don't waste our money on professional mowers of that size. He wants to buy more homeowner models. He says they last just as long.

I lean towards pro, he leans towards homeowner. Which would you pick?

Mark in ATL
  2. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

buy 21" commercial push mower.
  3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

your partner would be wrong commercial mower last longer i have an old Scott's mower that is about 12 years old still running fine a Toro from early 80s I still use now and then and a Lawn boy that's about 10 years old
  4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I really haven't noticed to much of a difference in deck construction on commercial 21'' ...
    I wouldn't buy some $99 special, I'd steer away from MTD, go Arien's, Toro, even Deere
  5. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

were are you looking at commercial mowers the decks are much better plus wheels are better and the engines are by far better
  6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at my dealer it was a eXmark Metro, It wasn't any better than a toro High End mower just more costly.
    At least the dealer was truthful stating there junk...!
  7. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

The only way to go is commercial:waving:
  8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have a question comparing homeowner and commercial mower. I have to mow my rental property which the grass and weeds are always wet and long ( mowing ones a month only!!) I have a Troy Bilt TB836 which is their top of the line mower. I have a lot of problem of the grass fragments cake up and clog up under the mower, they don't get blown into the bag very well. Everytime I stopk, I can't use the electric starter because it is all jam up, I have to either use the pull string and pull very hard to unjam or turn the mower over and use my hand to pull the stuff out before I can restart the mower.

Will a commercial mower do any better or the stuff is just too thick and wet and nothing I can do about it? It seemed like the tunnel from the deck to the bag is too small and it get all plug up it the grass is wet. It help if I remove the bag half way, use my hand to pull the grass out of the tunnel, than I can keep mowing.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Ooom, what are you using the 21-22" mowers for? Big question to ask.
    If you are just doing a few yards with them, don't waste your money on 21" commercial, will run you well over $1K - can get a Toro SR with Aluminum deck for $500.
    However, if you are doing big time work with the 21's, or that is all you use for a whole bunch of lawns, better go commercial.
  10. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the use of the mower. I have a 36" WB that I can cut pretty much all my yards with. So my 20'' mower is pretty much only used for trim work and a couple of hillsides. Besides, my pushmower takes alot of abuse when it does get used the areas I use it on are usually places that I would never take my WB. It would really bother me to invest in a 1000$ com. pushmower that is going to take such a beating on the occasions it does get used. Now if the 20" mower was my primary mower on alot of jobs then I would invest in a commercial one for the cut quality. If your pushmower will be just used for trimming around areas a larger mower cant get to, a high end res. mower should fit your needs. Buy a Honda or Toro and stay away from the real cheap ones if you go this route though.