22 years, and still going

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Aug 9, 2013.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I got a call earlier this week from a past customer for whom I installed a Rain Bird HP-12 sprinkler controller back in 1991.

The controller was quirky, made for Rain Bird in France as I recall, but the darn thing still works, and she is used to it.

She needs other sprinkler work done, and got my name and number from the sticker I put on all new controllers.

She is now 87, and has had bad experiences with different kinds of contractors over the years. She said that she remembered that I was honest and trustworthy.

Kinda made my day. :dancing:

I only installed maybe a dozen of these, icluding one at my own house.

My go-to controller back then was probably the Hydro Rain HR-6100. Didn't much like RB CRCs but ran into them on jobsites too.

Can't remember when Irritrol started making Total Controls, but I think it was the first controller with a non-volatile memory that I ever installed. That was a turning point for me.

Attached Files:

2. irrig8r

Not sure I can make this photo appear...

1011603_10201722706331595_881644512_n.jpg

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Never saw that one. I thought it was going to be that old RB , the same color with the red light screen

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

As I recall, Hardie made the Total Control first. Great clock, sophisticated for it's time, and trouble-free. :)

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Don't recall seeing that Rainbird controller in operation. Very like the Toro Vision series.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I still have quite a few out ther ( not to mention 2 in my basement) Before the days of the pro c I was raindial's for up to 12 zones and total control for over 12.

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

So why did she fire you?

8. irrig8r

Fire? She didn't. Her husband installed the sprinklers with manual vales in 1964. I installed actuators and a controller in 1991. He maintained the sprinklers himself for a couple of years after that. After he died various gardeners maintained them,. One of them made a lot of mistakes recently, so she needed help.

9. irrig8r

Of course. The 6100 and 6200 too. Glad they discontinued the 6000 though. :)

10. irrig8r

That last comment was supposed to be a reply to Mike Leary. I hate the Lawnsite app for Android.