22hp B&S Intek or 19hp Kawasaki TwinOHV ??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by wrenchhead34, Apr 9, 2004.

1. wrenchhead34

wrenchhead34 LawnSite Member

I think I have narrowed my homeowner ZTR search to 2 models. I am looking at: A Cub Cadet Z-Force 48" with 22hp Briggs & Stratton Intek and a Toro Timecutter ZX 19-52 (19hp Kawasaki, 52" deck).

I only want to spend around $4000 and I want a new machine for the warranty. The Cub Cadet lists right at $4000 and I get sort of an employee discount with the Toro that puts it in the $4000 ball park.

So with cost not the issue, each has features that I like and dislike but which has the better engine, Cub or Toro?

Any opinions?

2. Florida 5 Star

Florida 5 Star LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Might have to say the Cub is the better choice by hp to deck ratio the 19 on the toro is a bit under powered when you get into longer or wet grass

Why dont you either look at a Exmark LZ CT or a Hustler Fast track
    They might cost a bit more than you wanted but in the long run you get what you pay for
    The Ct retails for $5200 locally in Central florida

3. DN325Ci

DN325Ci LawnSite Member

You can get a Fastrak for $4000 and it's a much better machine in my opinion than the ones you've mentioned.

Don

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I have the toro 17/44" machine. It is marginal on power. the 19/52" will be underpowered. Toro spins their blades very fast, which give a great cut, but requires more power than other machines. I would either go with a smaller deck on the timecutter, or buy the other machine. FWIW, I have the blower unit on the timecutter, too. It's super, and worth buying, but is very slow from the power needed to drive it.
    DP

5. wrenchhead34

wrenchhead34 LawnSite Member

I went with the Z-Force. A lot had to do with the dealer. We have a good Cub dealer here but not a close Toro dealer.

Thanks for the advice. I looked at and almost bought the Exmark CT but just couldn't get myself to spend the $5000+.

If I could've found a new Fastrak for $4000, I would have bought it but they were all priced no less than $5000.

If I decide to trade up some day, I will go with the Exmark CT. I really liked that machine and we have a great dealer here. Just couldn't justify the big money at this time.

Thanks
    Wrench

6. Tubular10

Tubular10 LawnSite Member

I am in the same boat...looking for the best deal on a residential zero-turn mower. I would really like a Fastrak, but it seems the Hustler dealers are charging near list price for these. Where are you guys getting prices of around $4000?

7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Toledo Ohio, my dealer has them for anywhere between $4000 and $4500

8. cubzforce

cubzforce LawnSite Member

I have a cub z-force 44", w/ a 15 horse kawasaki v-twin. it will haul some booty brother, and cut grass like it aint nobodies bizness. Thats my recommendation. I looked at the toro time cutter 17/44, it was just dinkier and seemed a little more " not so well put together. Cub Cadet has their ducks in a row. I want a cub commercial M48 Tank if i could afford it. Go with the z-force, you wont be sorry.

9. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Tubular, if there's a Country Clipper dealer near you, check out the JAZee ZTR. It starts at $3995, has a flip-up deck and 3 year warranty. Option of 42/48/52 decks and Kawasaki/Kohler engines (I would avoid any B&S engine except perhaps the Vanguard). The JAZee has a single joystick control that is fantastic - - after a couple of tries :) Good luck!