1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

22HP B&S Intek Using Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MBDiagMan, Aug 11, 2005.

1. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 22HP B&S Intek on a Cub Cadet Z-Force mower. I changed oil and filter at 5.1 hours. The engine was using about a half pint of oil per hour. At 12.1 hours I took it to the dealer.

I learned that there is a problem with this engine having head gasket problems that allow the oil return passage to leak oil into the combustion chamber. My dealer, however, said that the problem was a "crudded up" crankcase breather and they replaced it. They said that this breather is not field serviceable. Is this true?

Is this possible at such a low time? We are dealing with a drought here (NorthEast Texas) but it has not been terribly dusty when mowing. If the crankcase breather was indeed the problem, I will be replacing it often so where is it on the engine?

Has anyone else heard anything about headgasket problems on these engines? Do you think that they did not address the real source of the problem?

Thanks for your comments and opinions,
  2. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

Most of them sit right up on top of the block. If you will give me the model # off the engine, I will find out for certain and tell you how to get to it and what part numbers will be needed.
  3. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks very much for your offer to help. The engine numbers are as follows:

Model 407577
    Type 0110E1
    Code 040526YG

Knowing part number and procedure will be quite helpful. Thank you.

Do you know anything about the head gasket problems with these engines? Could that breather indeed be the problem and how did it stop up so fast?

I like your signature. You and I think alike. Maybe because of our geographical similarity. I more or less grew up on my Grandfathers ranch near Blanco.

Thanks again and have a great day,
  4. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

499601 is breather assembly. 690962 are head gaskets.

I have heard of the problem with the head gaskets. the breather story is news to me. that thing mounts on top of the block kind of between the cylinders. if i am thinking correct, the flywheel will have to come off to get at it.

when you do head gaskets, head bolts are 220 inch pounds torque.

I have seen breathers on machines new do it. new like less than 2 hours use.

Thanks on the signature. Texas is nice and I am having a good time here. I hope things hold out and I can stay for a few years. we'll see.
    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.