22hp Kaw runs erratically

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Howdy455, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Howdy455

Howdy455 LawnSite Member

Losing my mind, I've tried everything. This in on my JD 455 with 600hrs. Engine starts fine but when I increase the throttle the governor goes bananas and the engine idles faster then slower then faster then slower, etc. It then blows white (blue) smoke. At first I thought I blew a head gasket and was leaking/burning coolant. Bad assumption, tore the engine down replaced and cleaned and still has same problem. Fuel filter looks new, compression is above spec. Smoke may be caused be bad reed valve, I do see an accumulation from the breather line feeding the carb. Why the erratic operation? I'm clueless.

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

if the engine is searching for idle and back fires on high rpm, its probly a plugged jet, idle searching indicates a lean fuel mix, try adjusting choke and see if it smooths out, if it does clean the carb if possible, i just put a new carb on my 24hp honda because of a plugged jet, cleaned it about 5 times and did not succeed so i replaced it. works great now.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to check the governor adjustment also.

4. Howdy455

Howdy455 LawnSite Member

I adjusted the governor per specs - nothing. I visually inspected the injectors (fuel injected) and did not see anything. My neighbor has a 445 and my next step is to pilfer his and swap carbs completely to at rule out fuel system. By the way, I purged the fuel system and replaced with new fuel.

5. Howdy455

Howdy455 LawnSite Member

Restrorob was right. Erratic operation turned out to be bad governor linkage. Fixed that but the engine still emits blue smoke. Oil level is fine and compression is great. What else should I be looking for?

6. Restrorob

Did you replace the plugs once you got the gov. strightened out ? It's possible they are fouled again from the hunting, Also are you installing the OEM type NGK plugs ? Post the model and spec. numbers so I can take a look at exactly what engine we have here.

7. Howdy455

Howdy455 LawnSite Member

The engine model is a FD620D-BS01 on a 98 JD 445. The NGK plugs are brand new and type BMR4A. I know that it is coming from #2 cylinder (pulled the plug and the smoking stopped). I am thinking valve adjustment/leakage or what about oil ring on the piston? How would I know?

8. Restrorob

Sorry but I'm not very familiar with the larger water cooled Kawasakis thats why I asked for the numbers. I went to the factory service manual under trouble shooting and they speak of a small oil return hole inside the breather chamber possibly plugged and I did notice in the parts break-down that the breather hose is closer to the #2 cylinder. They also spoke of worn valve guides or valve stem seals. With only 600 hrs. I wouldn't believe it would be rings or valve guides. If it were me I'd lean towards the breather hole or stem seals,Breather first. The seals can be replaced without pulling the head also.
    If you find nothing wrong with the breather and wan't to replace the seals post back and I'll give you a quick rundown how I perform this replacement.