23 horse kawi not right!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 97Stroker, Mar 14, 2001.

1. 97Stroker

97Stroker LawnSite Member

guys, anyone else out there having any problems with there 23 horse kawi's??? I have one on a ferris 61" wb, it starts like crap, smokes bad, backfires, starts to feel like the valve is stickin then it looses power, and then eventually regains power. The guy at my ferris dealer said they all belch out the smoke when they start up. I don't know about that it seems weird, anyone else hear anything???
    thanks

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

To me ,it sounds like you have a Carb problem,the one Kawi 23 I drove kicked grass big time,so i dont think all of them do it.Maybe your carb is leaking down when you shut it off.

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

That backfire seems like it could be a timing problem - check the keyway on the crank. It may be sheared or semi-sheared - that would cause a lot of the problems that you described. Good luck.

4. Greens Keeper

Greens Keeper LawnSite Member

Have a tech look at the coil and ignition wiring. The bobcat zt 200 i have we had to replace both ignition coils at about 200 hours because the wires began to chafe. good luck. I seen one of those 23hp walk behinds at expo 99 very tough grass eating machines. I have a 94 17hp dd61 that we have had awesome luck with.

5. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 23 Kaw on my Laser. I haven't had any problems with mine. It has run very strong and has a lot of power. One thing it does do when its idling for awhile and then you turn up the throttle it seems to hesitate. Its just for a split second and after that it runs perfect.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have had several guys from this site email me about the same type of problems. If mine stays at idle for a few seconds and you throttle up it will hesitate. When I crank it up 1st thing in the morning it does put out a small puff of smoke. And it always backfires. This is typical on kawis. The more hours you put on them the less they backfire. My 14 kawi never backfires anymore, my 12.5 rarely does anymore, and my 23 still does all the time but its not as loud anymore.

7. Cutter1

Hoss.....I was the one who emailed you about it :)

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yep cutter you did. Several others have too. Seems like the idle to full is something many people are dealing with. My service guy blames it on the cheap gas that is being put out now. Whatever.

9. Cutter1

I complained about it too, he didn't use that laim excuse that yours did. He just said its something with the carb!! All dealers are the same.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Thats probably why I told my dealer to take a hike and am going to use someone else from now on. I'll mention it to the new service center next time.