1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

23 hp Kaw fouling plugs on 61" Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnScapers of Dayton, May 19, 2004.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Any ideas how to stop this? Dealer says this is not uncommon in new machines and cooler temperatures. But it was in the 70's today.

It is starting to pi$$ me off a little...

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I had a scag with a 23hp Kawasaki. Only fouled one plug in 500 hours of use. I'd get a second opinion.

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

I was told that Kawi air cooled engines run extremely hot, and that if you let it idle for very long the plugs will foul out. I have a 23 HP Kawi on my Ferris, and have not had any problems yet.
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

air coled kawi's are very sensitive towards clean air filters. Fouling a plug is one of the results, I would also check for pinched return lines as well. I know Kawi has a update circular to their mechanics telling them to check a vacuum hose which runs behind the carb (on my 25 hp it is clear). Apparently this hose has to hang a certain length or the manifold pressure is altered meaning a poor running condition.
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

If you put a aftermarket air filter assembly (donaldson etc) you will have to rejet, I bought the engineair kit a couple years ago for my 23 kaw, fouled plugs galore, replaced coils etc, under warranty, cause was they never said or sent instructions on to rejet.
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Pardon my ignorance....explain rejet for me...

7. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

how about "nonfouler" addition to the spark plug
  8. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Check to make sure the choke is not sticking and that it is adjusted right. If it a new machine it might not be adjusted right, this would make it not get enough air to fully burn all the fuel. It is a simple fix.
  9. T-Time

T-Time LawnSite Member

I was told today by a dealer that you are supposed to run the high octane gas through the KAW. or add a additive to the lower octane fuel. Is this what everyone is doing or not and could this could be part of the problem if it is
  10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

in you carb you got what is a main jet, thats what yopu would have to change, either lean or richer, I'd let the dealer do the changing.

t-time, I use 87 proof, no problems