23 hp KAW HARD HARD HARD to start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by southerngroundscare, Aug 10, 2004.

1. southerngroundscare

southerngroundscare LawnSite Member

I have a 23 KAW 3 years old which is hard to start for the first itme each day. It normally takes about 10 - 15 minutes of multiple tries to start. After it warms up it will usually start within 15 - 20 seconds. It has been to the shop multiple times and they cannot find whats wrong (or too busy to spend the time).
    I have replaced the air filter, both coils, new carb, coil wiring harness, new plugs with no change. First start of the day I use a little starting fluid but that doesn't help too much. I get a lot of backfiring or popping through the carb. It appears to be flooding the carb but I can pull the plugs and they are pretty dry. If I put a new set of plugs in it everyday it tends to start a little better but still takes quite a bit of cranking. The plugs turn very black after a couple of days.

PLEASE can anyone advise. Seems like the shops either can't fix it or don't want the challenge.
  2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you have them check the valve adjustment?
  3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Why not install a fuel shut-off valve and install it in the fuel line. Shut the machine off with the valve, and let it run dry of fuel at the end of the day THEN, try starting it the next morning. You have nothing to loose.
  4. southerngroundscare

southerngroundscare LawnSite Member

What would adjusting the valves do for the problem?

I have tried shutting the gas off but that doesn't work. The problem only occurs on the first start of the day. Other than that it is a little hard to start but we can usually get it running after it has warmed up.

19 years in the business and never have I had a problem to stump so many mechanics. This is driving my nuts.
  5. firekilr2

firekilr2 LawnSite Member

I am sure you checked this, but is the choke closing all the way. i had the same problem with a Kaw. Checked everything just to find out the choke was a 1/4 inch from closing. Would strat fine when warm. good luck.
  6. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

You've replaced everything in the fuel and electrical systems.

Could be cam lobe wear or valve problems.

Did they run a compression check?
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

BTW you mentioned black plugs.. Check choke for problems/binding, and check the air filter for restriction too...
  8. MattG

MattG LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

Just a couple guesses ( I had similar problems with a KAW)

1. Battery, make sure it is 100% mine would crank great but loose amps. Autozone checked the battery under load and found this problem. Try jump starting it to see if that helps at all.

2. Ignitor: Sounds like you replaced it though

3. Valves: I had a bad exhaust valve

4. General tune up. A new fuel filter, clean air filter, charged battery, etc helped

5. I noticed an improvement after running some mild carb cleaner through with 2 tanks of gas.

Hope something in here helps your problem
  9. cashjm

cashjm LawnSite Member

Did you check the needle and seat on the float in the carb if it is lhas a slow leaking would flood the engine after it sat overnight I believe. Much like a power valve leaking on a holly Carb. I believe it were me I would put a needle and seat on and check the weight of the float If it is plastic it could be gas logged or if it is brass it might have a leak. A replacement of all three items will probably fix your problem I believe. You said they replaced the Carb (are you sure this was done)..........The things you have done are all very logical. An engine will run with no carb if you spray starting fluid in it, try it some time. Black plugs mean rich, white plugs are oil fouling. If you have a good valve job I would try a new muffler a plugged muffler will cause all of these problems.
  10. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

For what its worth, I had a briggs awhile back, did the same thing, The only way I fixed it after doing every thing I could as you have done, (I did pull head and lap and set valves) was I got a new carburator and installed. don't know why but it cured the problem.. as I say for what its worth. good luck.