1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

23 HP Kawasaki RPM WAY Too High

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by canam, Jun 4, 2006.

1. canam

canam LawnSite Member

Thanks Fix. The valves are supposed to be at .004" so my gap is huge. Could it being this far out of adjustment be causing my problem? I would just adjust and try it but I tore the gasket when I was taking the cover off and will have to wait until tomorrow to get another one. The carb doesn't have any adjustments. In the mean time if there is something else I can check I would like to so it can be ready to go first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

If that is an overhead valve engine with stamped steel or aluminum cover you should be able to use "permatex gasket maker" on it . Available at any parts store. That could very well cause popping and missfire.
  3. canam

canam LawnSite Member

I adjusted the valves and used the gasket maker last night. Fired it up this morning and it sounds much better. It is still smoking a little when I engage the blades, but it is definately usable. Anyone have any ideas how to eliminate the smoke?
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just run it a few days and see if it doesn't stop with the smoke.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

How much smoke are we talking here? A small haze or a cloud?
  6. canam

canam LawnSite Member

I figured out the problem. When I took the main jets out I didn't realize they were different. One was 136 the other was 140. I switched them and now it runs great. The other change I made was on the gasket between the carb and air filter. The gasket provided by the dealer blocked off 4 little ports. Not sure what they are but I cut the gasket to free these up. Not sure which change made the difference but it is running great. Thank you all for your help.