23 hp kawasaki running rich

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DaveB, Jan 22, 2006.

1. DaveB

DaveB LawnSite Member

Hello I have a 03 great dane with a 23 hp kawasaki and it runs rich if you idle it down and get off for just a few seconds when you bring the rpms up you get a lot of black smoke. The air filter is clean I bought it new and seems to have always done this I have had to replace the plugs twice. After running if you pull the air filter out the is gas just sitting below the filter. The oil seems like it has gotten black way too soon the unit only has 175 hrs on it. I thought maybe the float is a little to high just thought I would ask some of you knowing you probably have seen a lot of this type of thing before I start working on it.
    Thanks
    Dave Beard

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Some Kawasaki carbs. have a low speed adjustment, If yours does I would start it up and at idle try turning the adjustment screw in slowly and see if it smooths out. As for the little puddle of fuel most Kawasaki's do this and there is really no concern.

3. snowin

snowin LawnSite Member

check to see if your carb is internally vented or not,kawi had a service bulliten on this the two styles of carbs mean different air filters(they look identical)but they are not

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the Srevice Bulletin snowin spoke of. It may take a minute to down-load.

Attached Files:

5. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

also make sure if it is a extrenally vented carb (hose coming out of the top of it). that the vent line is clear of any debris and kawi had mentioned at 05 service school, they wanted that line extended away from front of the engine to get it away from any cooling are flow coming off the flywheel. the pref. wanted it ran to the back of the unit (a longer line). And there is a directive from kawi to use the NGK BPR2ES plugs in the 21-25hp engines to help burn off the little bit extra fuel and not foul out.

that air flow would be forced into the carb and cause it to dump fuel into the venturi of the carb and run rich.

also make sure, if anyone added the heavy duty filter kit to the unit, they installed the proper jets in the carb, for the proper cylinders. they use different jets for the lh and rh cylinders because of the pulse of the intake tract length.

Good Luck