23 hp kawi RPM adjustment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steve225, May 3, 2004.

1. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

I have a 23 hp Kawi that only runs at 3400 RPM I ned 3750. Can anyone tell me how to crank it up ? I already tried moving the plate on the back or the engine.

Steve

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Just a wild guess to maybe help you out, could a streched throttle cable, or the choke not fully opening make the RPMs not get up enough? (mine was at only 3400 under load, but was an intake valve not seating properly)

3. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

I already had a valve problem once . I want to thank you for trying to help. I think my mechanic can help tomarrow. Thanks again, Metro

Steve

4. metro-hp_48

from TN

Could you me a BIG favor steve? Could you ask him what the heads torque on, on a FH500V (17HP Kaw twin) and let me know?
    Killing me to be shut down.

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

The question of more engine revolutions had me wanting to raise the operating speed of my mower.

This past Sunday I made an adjustment....

I used a hand held [reed type] oscillating tachometer that reveled my mower was turning 3300 rpm's at maximum throttle.

The throttle cable adjustment was made which did not raise the speed of the engine.

However, with the telephone help of a friend, told me how to make the adjustment to the Governor plate...

I raised the rpm's up to 3650 on a 23hp Kawasaki installed in a Hustler Z....the results were profound. More rpm's = higher blade tip speed.....

I need to install a lcd tachometer to be sure I do not over-speed the engine..

6. metro-hp_48

from TN

Always kept mine @ 3650 underload.

7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

like the safest thing to do...

Wonder, do you know what is redline?

8. metro-hp_48

from TN

Not off hand, Captken. Always heard (here) 3650 was the optimum. Maybe in theory the lower the RPMs the longer it will last? No idea.

9. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Captken, The ?? I had was how do you raise the RPM's?
    What did you do ?
    Thanks , Steve

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I believe Kawasaki has a redline on their 23 HP vertical shaft engines at 3750 rpm. I had a factory repair manual at one time but let a neighbor use it and never seen it again. If you want to raise the rpm to 3600-3700 you can tweak the governor mount a little while the engine is hooked to a tachometer. Be careful while doing this because you can easily over rev the engine and cause damage to the crank/rods/pistons. Never attempt to adjust the rpm without a quality tachometer.

Lower rpm than that recommended by the manufacturer will cause the engine wear out prematurely.