1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

23 hp kohler big enough?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MAC LLC, Mar 13, 2008.

1. MAC LLC

MAC LLC LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone had experiance with a 23 hp kohler on a lazer z hp with 52'' ultracut deck.

Would this be enough horsepower for that machine and running an ultravac system or should i pay $500 more for the 27hp kohler on the same machine

I am from the northeast but do not have too many hills to worry about.
  2. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Get the extra power!
  3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go for the 27hp, but the 23 should be fine.
  4. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

I would think on a 52 you should be ok with the 23. Extra power never hurts with a bagging unit like the ultra vac, but like i said i think a 23 on a 52 should be ok.

5. MAC LLC

MAC LLC LawnSite Member

I want the extra power but i do not know if i can justify $500 for 4 extra horses but over the long haul the engine would have less stress from not being worked as hard. Will the 27 hp burn a lot more fuel than the 23?
  6. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

i have this setup... 23 hp on a 52 exmark with an ultravac.... plenty of power... dont worry.
  7. joshco84

not a lot more, maybe another gallon a day. I have exmark 60's with both, and didnt notice a big diffrence.
  8. joshco84

have run, sorry, i dont have both.
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My Exmark has a 19 with the 48" deck and works find the ultra-vac. My deere has the 23 and does fine with year round mulching in thick grass/leaves. However, I don't know how your grass compares to mine when bagging. Have you demoed one yet? You will probably be fine with the 23 but if you can afford the 27 I say go for it, no such thing as to much power.
  10. MAC LLC

MAC LLC LawnSite Member

thanks for all the help guys, i have an older lazer with 25 hp kohler and 52 deck which i think has enough power, but it sounds like the 23 will do the job. I am still somewhat skeptical on the kohler vs. kawi but there i cannot get the ultracut deck with a kawi motor