23 hp Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bohiaa, Apr 28, 2007.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

hay all.

I have a new Exmark with the 23 hp Kohler EFI.

seems when I run it at hard when I go to turn it off it will run back and sometimes pop and back fire.......

I always let it idle down before shutting it off...
  2. lawn masters2006

lawn masters2006 LawnSite Member

most kolhers do that...dont idle down all the way ,then turn it off..
  3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I am sorry but I was not aware Kohler had a 23 hp efi. I had two 27 hp Kohler's that would do this until I learned to turn them off at full throttle and this solved the problem completely. The Kohler tech told me to use this process because I had never in my life turned off anything at full throttle. He explained what it was doing and it made good since and worked perfectly. The air cooled motor cools best at full throttle so when you let one idle before you switch it off it can actually heat up because of slower fan speed.
  4. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

As long as it is not a sever backfire it is ok, all it is doing is firing off the little bit of unburned gas in the cylinder, a lot of the newer motors do this now days. Like it was said above kholer is the worst about this but running the throttle up will cure the problem.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

ok I will try this...it seems werid to me but will give it a try....

6. puppypaws

Let us know how it works for you, I was told to try 3/4 throttle first but it did not work for me. They then said turn it off at full throttle and I said I have never turn off anything at full throttle in my life not even my wife. I did exactly what they said and it never happened again.
  7. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to have to try this i have never even in my life herd of turning anything off at full throttle but i have a 16hp, 20hp and 23hp kohler and they all do this the 16 is the worst but they all do it im going to have to try this and see what the result is
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If your machine lets you push hydros forward, use them to stop the motor when it runs on.

Or, a more advanced technique (at slow idle): key off, key back on, then hit PTO the split second you key back on. Should stop it.

Or, a more expensive technique I used to use on my Kohlers: Premium gas. Too much $ now!!! My Kohlers always shut off properly with premium.
  9. Grasman

Grasman LawnSite Member

I have a 25hp Kohler that did the same thing, run on and/or backfire. I ended up blowing out the gaskets. The Kohler tech told me to pull the throttle all the way back to idle then advance it to 1/4 or a little more, then turn the key off. This ignites the unburned gas in the cylinders which causes the problem and is better than shutting off at full throttle. After replacing the gaskets I have never had it backfire again unless I forget.
  10. puppypaws

Go to this page, this is what Kohler's engineers have to say about this problem.