23 HP Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RudyW, Mar 3, 2005.

1. RudyW

RudyW LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,
    Before buying my first ztr mower I thought I would ask your advice. I have 10 acres of kinda mixed lawn to cut at my home,and have been offered a "new" 2004 Toro Z500 60" deck with a 23 HP Kohler engine for 6999.00 plus tax....this seems like a pretty fair price to me,BUT,is that 23 hp kohler enough engine for the 60" deck? I will appreciate all responses,as I am supposed to let him know something tomorrow...Thanks all.....Rudy
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Should be plenty.
  3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

should be enough, you just can't run doubles or mulch with it.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You'll be fine.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

For that price it doesnt seem to be the commercial grade 23hp. The commercial grade has enough power for mulching and does pretty good with doubles
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I wouldn't have it. A 23 isn't enough hp for a 52" mower let alone a 60".. And like some others have said, don't plan on running doubles or Mulching.. Especially if you like to run fast..first time you let your lawn get a little out of control, your gonna be hating that 23 horse Kohler.. Just my humble opinion..
    60"= at least 25hp, I'd like minimum of 27hp, or 30 if it's available..
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If it is the Z500 then it should be the Commercial Engine and have the new Turbo Force all 7ga steel deck with the baffle system and that 23 will be fine and yes you can to mulch with it as I have one of those same mowers and it does fine. BTw, I bought this one last year right in the middle of the season and only paid $6500 + tax and that was long before the 05's were out as they are now so you should be able to get the price down, but als my price was cash as I don't finance mowers so I don't know if you offered cash or not.
  8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The 23 hp will be fine for the 60" deck. We have a 60" mower with a 20 hp on it and it could definately use more power but we still use it for a bush hog sometimes and it is just fine.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If the z500 has a deck that is deeper than 5" it will be fine.

A 23 horse lazer with a 60" ultracut (51/2" deep) deck runs faster in heavy wet grass than a 52" lazer HP with the same 23 horse motor but with a trivantage deck. (5" deep)

All in all it is only in the heavy wet spring growth that it becomes a problem at all for commercial cutting. Being a homeowner if it takes you an extra hour in the heaviest spring growth to cut your 10 acres it really doesn't matter.

The 23 horse will serve you fine.
  10. RudyW

RudyW LawnSite Member

Thanks for the great response....the general consensus is that the 23 kohler will do the job.....will go in the morning and try to squeeze out a couple of sets of blades and buy this machine one way or the other....I appreciate all the advise. Thanks.....Rudy