23 Kaw runs on 1 cylinder When hot

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Dan1944, May 17, 2005.

1. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

I have a Hustler mini with a 23 hp Kaw. It starts and runs fine when cold or just warm. After cutting a lawn and loading on trailer and unload 10-15 minutes later it runs on only one jug. If I keep it at full throttle after 20-40 secounds the other jug kicks in. I think this is a no brainier and had the dealer order 2 coil assemblies. Does any one else have any ideas ? Postscript: If it is running on one jug and I pull the outboard plug wire the motor dies. If I pull the inboard plug there is no change and I have been noticing a slight loss of power while cutting a day or two before this started to happen.

Thanks

Dan the lawn care man

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Check for spark on the suspected cylinder when this condition occurs. If you have spark at the plug its possible that you have a valve hanging up. You might do a compression check on the problem cylinder when this condition occurs, particularly if you have spark at the plug.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like dutch1 has got you pointed in the right direction,I don't know what brand spark plugs your running but I've seen NGK's cause the same problem.
    Keep in mind a plug could spark out of the engine but not under compression.

4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I just had to put on two new ignition coils on my 02 60" Lazer with a 23hp Kawi with just under 600 hours on it. It was fowling out both plugs when this was happening, once I replaced the coils it has run great ever since this season. On my 02 Metro HP with a 15 hp Kawi it took forever to start up one morning, I had to pull the plugs and burn the fuel off of them then it finally started but was running like crap. I pulled on plug wire off and had no change in the way the engine was running. I replaced the coil on that side and started it up and it ran fine.

5. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

:cool2:

I just replaced coils in the Kaw, Ran it hard today, Never missed a beat! My Kaw has 560 hours on it, so when I read your reply, it gave me more confidence that I had diagnosed it right !!!

6. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

had the same problem on our 23 hp kaw. Ran great when cold when the engine got hot only one cylinder. We originaly thought a sticky valve because the repair shop owner said he has never replaced a coil on that engine before however it was a coil.
    food for thought always talk to the mechanics not the service mngr who never works on the stuff