23 Kaw?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Gamba, Sep 27, 2003.

1. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

For those of you that have kaw 23's how are they doing?
    Thank you so much John:D

2. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Good...had a coil go on one with 50 hrs...but manufacturer paid for it.

3. John Gamba

from ct

Thanks dmk
    How have you been?
    John

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Both my Kawi 23's have been perfect so far. The first one I bought in 2000 without any problems. The other is new this season. Its been flawless up to now also.

The 23 kawi makes a lot of torque, its real nice in thick grass.

5. John Gamba

from ct

Thanks Eric
    I should of asked you first.
    John

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Naw, just last. Last word. haha. Just kidding.

A friend of mine bought the 23 kohler. He's used mine, likes the power of the kawi better.

7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2001 EXMark Lazer Z with the the 23 kw It locked up with 341 hours. It was the A code motor with the short dip stick and thay replaced it at no charge.

8. John Gamba

from ct

Cool.
    John

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Can't go wrong with Kawi. I love my 15! :D

10. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

John,
    I have a 23 Kawa on my 52" Encore (shaft drive between engine and deck). It's a pretty beefy engine and it has more than enough power for this size machine. I often mow very thick and sometimes wet turf and no indication of the engine laboring. She runs like a clock.

When I bought this mower I asked them what the life expectancy of this engine would be and they said ± 2500 hrs if you maintain the engine at the required regular intervals.

She now has ± 600 hrs and except for regular oil changes and replacing oil, feul and air filters, I've had only but joy out of it. No leaks, no seapage, no usage of oil - touch wood.

The Kawa is a cold blooded engine and even on a hot summer day you want to choke it to start a cold engine in the mornings. Other than that you show her the key and she'll fire up.

I found the engine noise is a little lower than the Kohler, but heck does it matter what the noise levels are after a day sitting on a mower mowing. A few decibells won't make no difference.

Good Luck
    PC