23 Kawasaki / Canister Filter??? HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SLS, Oct 10, 2002.

1. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Here is my problem:

I finally called my Exmark dealer and ordered the Canister Air Filter upgrade for my 23 hp Kawasaki.

I was previously told by this dealer, and others here at Lawnsite, that this package is now available.

My dealer asked for the 'engine code' and said it was necessary info to get the correct filter. My engine code is: FH680D-AS05. This is a 23 hp horizonal-shaft air-cooled engine and is on a 2001 Lazer Z w/ 60" deck. The engine code (& serial#) is printed on a little white sticker on the engine...next to the oil drain gizmo.

My dealer called this morning to tell me that Kawasaki does NOT offer a kit for this particular engine yet. Boo Hoo!

Here is where I need your help:

If any of you fellow members have a 23 Kaw with this canister filter upgrade would you please check your engine code for me? I want to make sure my dealer didn't talk to someone who was misinformed, or recieve a "blow-off" from his supplier just because they did not have it in stock or did not want to bother with special ordering it......this happens sometimes.

My dealer, although I adore him, does not seem to get good info. I ordered the 'anti-blowout baffle' at the same time...and he said "Whats that? I've never heard of it. Do you mean the cover plate for the discharge opening?" Luckily, 65hoss has posted the Exmark part number (and the Service Bulletin #) so I was able to update him on the anti-blowout baffle situation...and get mine. Whew! Thanks, 65hoss!

As this is a popular Kaw engine I have my suspicions...and I want this upgrade badly...regardless of where I obtain it from.

Thanks for reading this post and any help/replies/alternatives would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Call Dustin or Fred at exmark and get them to help you. The filter is made by another company I believe, so it may not be avaliable via Kawi.

Tell them I said lunch is over and get back to work. :D
    Eric

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

We ran into the same brick wall today. Exmark passed the buck to Kawasaki and Kawasaki said it may be available in the spring. They're having trouble getting the carb calibration correct and it's not a high priority project for them. The Kawasaki rep said "Just change the filter more often".

4. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Are you talking about the Donalson Filter??I just hd one put on my Z 23 Kawa .For 150.00. Thats with the hardware and changing the float.Let me know.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

There is 2 different kits. One comes with new jets for the carb, the other you must change the carb. Guess which kit cost more? Guess which one I must have? You got it. The most expensive one, I must have the one with new carb for mine. I haven't tried to get it yet. Dustin did give me a part number for the one I need. Thus the reason I suggest calling him or Fred.

6. we got two 23 kawi we want the filter for. we plan on running these puppies to they drop.
    Hopeing to get em on for this upcomeing leaf season

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Thanks you for all of your replies to this thread. :)

Yep, like 65hoss said, there are apparently two different kits for the 23 Kasasaki. I posted this same topic over in the Exmark forum and, naturally, Terry and the exmark team responded quickly. Here's the thread:

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35176

Looks like I too need the kit that comes with the new carb. Just for our info I'm going to contact my dealer and get the price (prices) of the kit (kits).

Floridalandcare:

Yes, this is a 2 (or 3) stage canister filter, like the Donelson. I'm not sure who actually makes it (Donelson, Enginaire, Nelson...???). Could you check the 'engine code' sticker on your engine and see if it is different than mine? Any info, part numbers, name of manufacturer, ect. would be nice to have on this thread...seems a lot of us here are wanting to do this upgrade and could maybe use this info.

Thanks a bunch , guys! Hopefully we'll be able to get our fancy filters! :D

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Using the info provided by 65hoss and the Exmark Forum my buddy was finally able to order the canister filter for his Kawasaki. His needed the carb and the whole kit came in at $430.00.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Man!!! Glad I thought about searching for this stuff! I was curious what it would cost to add a canister filter to a Kawi. OUCH !!!

10. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

jeez..............i posted that i can offer these for much cheaper!!!!

wow, i could've saved you $$$$$$$

it's a very simple swap too!!

if anyone wants to save $$$ for heavy duty filter systems for Kohler, Kawasaki, Robin, Briggs, Kubota, Lambordini, Onan, Yanmar, Honda and Generac, drop me a line with specs!!

i'll even assist in mounting!!!

----------------------

BTW.... some require jets and some require complete carbs, everything will be included with my kits....there is no float change!!!