23 Kawasaki / Canister Filter??? HELP!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by SLS, Oct 10, 2002.

1. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Terry, Dustin, or Fred....HELP!

Here is my problem:

I finally called my Exmark dealer and ordered the Canister Air Filter upgrade for my 23 hp Kawasaki.

I was previously told by this dealer, and others here at Lawnsite, that this package is now available.

My dealer asked for the 'engine code' and said it was necessary info to get the correct filter. My engine code is: FH680D-AS05. This is a 23 hp horizonal-shaft air-cooled engine and is on a 2001 Lazer Z w/ 60" deck. The engine code (& serial#) is printed on a little white sticker on the engine...next to the oil drain gizmo.

My dealer called this morning to tell me that Kawasaki does NOT offer a kit for this particular engine yet. Boo Hoo!

Here is where I need your help:

If any of you fellow members have a 23 Kaw with this canister filter upgrade would you please check your engine code for me? I want to make sure my dealer didn't talk to someone who was misinformed, or recieve a "blow-off" from his supplier just because they did not have it in stock or did not want to bother with special ordering it......this happens sometimes.

My dealer, although I adore him, does not seem to get good info. I ordered the 'anti-blowout baffle' at the same time...and he said "Whats that? I've never heard of it. Do you mean the cover plate for the discharge opening?" Luckily, 65hoss has posted the Exmark part number (and the Service Bulletin #) so I was able to update him on the anti-blowout baffle situation...and get mine. Whew! Thanks, 65hoss!

As this is a popular Kaw engine I have my suspicions...and I want this upgrade badly...regardless of where I obtain it from.

Thanks for reading this post and any help/replies/alternatives would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

SLS,

I called Kawasaki and there are two kits available. P/N 99999-7007 and 99999-7008. The first kit includes different main jets for the carburetor. The second kit includes a new carburetor. The information I have shows your model spec needing the 7008 kit. You may want to have him call Kawasaki directly however for verification.

I don't have pricing information, you'll need to contact your dealer for that information.

Don't be too hard on your dealer. He's probably carrying more than one line and gets bombarded with mailings from all of them. Some of them are important and some of them are maybe not as important. Things get misplaced or just don't register. Most dealers won't be aware of the anti-blow out baffle. For many operators the blow out is acceptable in their mowing conditions and the subject never comes up. In other areas the blow out is maybe not as acceptable and those are the guys we need to seek out and inform about the baffle.

Thanks

Terry

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Terry,

Thank you for making the call to Kawasaki and for replying with this info so quickly. That is one of the major reasons why I am such an Exmark fanatic...excellent rapport from you factory guys to us end-users! That, plus your awesome machines makes for a winning combination, and is why I own both the aforementiond Lazer AND a 2002 TTHP 36" w/ECS. Without a doubt, my next machine will also be an Exmark! :D

From the info provided above it would appear that I will have to purchase a new carburator along with the canister filter kit. Ouch.

I will pass this info along to my dealer, with the #'s that you so graciously provided, and see what the 'damage' ($$$) will be to do this upgrade. I'm guessing that the carb will be rather pricy....but in the long run may well be worth the investment.

Being that the hydro system uses Mobil 1 and has given me almost 900 hours of trouble-free service to date, I have decided that the addition of an external hydro cooler is probably not nesessary but I have been wanting to add an external engine oil cooler and canister air filter to my red "pride and joy" in order to be able to brag to the Dixie Chopper guys about how I too have racked up thousands of hours...but on an Exmark! :D

Thanks again for your help, Terry. Tell the boss I said to give you a big, fat pay increase! :)

4. eXmark

SLS,

I'd go ahead and have your dealer verify with Kawasaki directly before ordering. I'm confident the information is accurate but before you lay down the cash I'd still double check.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Truthfully we've got a pretty good team across the board. Fred, Dustin and myself get to post here, and we get too help Exmark users find the answers to the questions that they're are seeking. The guys in the engineering lab, the engineers, line leaders, assemblers, welders, painters and everyone else really deserve most of the credit. I know you'll find this hard to believe I can barely believe it myself, but the three of us don't always have all the answers. Quite often we must go to assembly, engineering, paint or welding to get the right answers when something new comes up. It's the team that makes our presence on Lawnsite useful. We're just the only ones that know how to type except Fred. He can’t type very well, but we let him play along anyway.

Thanks team and thanks SLS for your continued support of the Exmark line of commercial mowers.

Terry

5. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Get ahold of the canister yet?

6. eXmark

Grassscape,

I did get an e-mail from Kawasaki and unfortunately they are still working on the kit.

The filter assembly itself is not a real big issue. Making the carburetor on your engine still function, as it should is however. That's where they are. They just want to make sure that the engine continues to run in all conditions as it did before the filter change.

We'll try to keep you posted, as new information becomes available.

Thanks

Terry

7. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Is this the upgrade from the paper type filter?

8. eXmark

Moguy,

It would be if it were available.

Kawasaki does offer the canister air filters for horizontal shaft engines or the 15hp and 17hp verticals.

They do offer canister filters for the 19, 21, and 23 hp verticals however.

Thanks

Terry

9. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry,
    I must have read the thread wrong because, when I purchased my 23 Kaw. it did have the paper type filter and the dealer did upgrade it to the canister.

10. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Originally posted by eXmark

Kawasaki does offer the canister air filters for horizontal shaft engines or the 15hp and 17hp verticals.

I just purchased a 2003 17hp recoil start tthp 48". I am very pleased with the mower. I do have some concerns about the air-filter system on it. The filter does not seem to seal properly at the bottom. I noticed on the 2004 web-site that it looks like they are using a differant style air filter system. Does it work better than the current air-filter on my 2003 model? Also, is the canister style air-filter available for my unit? If it is would you please provide me with the correct part #?
    I really appreciate all the support Exmark provides to their customers. It really makes a differance.