23 Kawi Blows Smoke

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnGuy73, Aug 20, 2003.

1. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

This spring we put a brand new 2003 23hp kawi on one of our Great Danes, and every morning it blows smoke...Mind you its been over 90 degrees everyday for the last two weeks here, its been doing this for about a month now. Any thoughts, or does anyone else have this problem?
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

it mite have to much oil in it
  3. Common on every kawi v twin I have and seen to compare to.
  4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 23 on my Exmark no smoke but have a 15 kaw on my 36 and it puffs smoke every start and it has never really concerned me any
  5. I have a 17hp Kawasaki on new mower this year. At about 10 hours or so, it started smoking heavily on a startup, but I thought I’d let it run for a while and see if it quit. This wasn’t just a cold-start smoke, this was a very HEAVY white cloud. Then I noticed there was oil being spit from the exhaust manifold and onto the deck, so I shut it down.

People on this website and the mechanic from my dealer told me the slots in the rings rotate around the piston and sometimes line up. When they line up on the low side, and you shut the engine down, the oil will drain into the combustion chamber, causing blow-by on the occasional start up. The oil level was dead on full, not over filled by any amount.

50 hours later, it still smokes on the startup every so often. Sometimes it’s once a week, sometimes it’s once a month, sometimes it’s two or three starts in a row. But there is no appreciable loss in oil.

If my engine was losing a lot of oil and heavily smoking every start, I’d be complaining and looking for a replacement.
  6. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

Liquid or Air cooled?
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a lucky guy.....EVERY morning! :eek:
    :D :D :D :D

I know, I'm a bad boy!
  8. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

we have run into this problem too and have decided that it is running too rich. It's pulling too much fuel in and the spark plugs are building up carbon. Every time we change the oil, it is black as night 3 days later. It also has problems with idle when the temperature is exceeding 85 or so degrees.
  9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its an air cooled, and nope the oil level is where it should be...
  10. oleo

oleo LawnSite Member

Clean your air filter really well or just put a new one in. I had this same problem on my Kawasaki and it fixed it. Mine would also sputter a little and blow out smoke going up a hill. Something to try. Good luck