23 kawi no power with blades on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AVERDEROSA, Apr 6, 2005.

1. AVERDEROSA

AVERDEROSA LawnSite Member

Went out cutting today cut first lawn no problems. Went to cut second lawn started machine ran normal untill i engaged blades. When i engage blades the motor bogs down & blades only spin about half speed. I came home & cleaned carb, already had put new filters on it before i even used it. Plugs are also new. Cleaning the carb did not help. NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!

PS. (bobcat zt 200 ) :help:

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, but check and make sure your choke isn't sticking, or one of your plugs are not fouled. This will make the engine lose power under load. I'm sure there are many other possibilities.

3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm.. maybe you got something wrapped around the blades that is putting an abnormal strain on the engine and making it sound like it doesn't have any power. Hard to say without seeing it.

4. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Check all the belt pulleys, idlers, etc.

6. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

I would go with rod on this one, check all your belts and pulley's
    Let us know what you find

7. DGM

DGM LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I have not delt with Kaw. in years but when we ran all snapper 48" walkbehind hydros with kaw. engines they were notorius for the valve adjustment getting out of adjustment. If we had any problems low power, hard starting, etc. a quick valve adjustment and it run perfect for about 6 months.

Check the simple stuff first, like others has said belts, pulleys, etc.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I would check as Beran's said, and then look at fuel delivery / clogged fuel filter next.

9. AVERDEROSA

AVERDEROSA LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone, I do all my mower maintenance my self and have been for years. So all the simple stuff like: belts / pulleys / filters / plugs / gas / ect have already been ruled out. The one thing I have never done is check valves. Sounds like this is the next step. Im not really sure of the right way to do this but do have a good idea. Any help would be great.

Thanks again.

10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 17 hp kawasaki and it done the same thing, it was the igition coil on one side that went bad.
    I would also check all the things that others mentioned.