23 Kawi surging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasscapeinc, Sep 21, 2004.

1. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

I have a Deere 727 w/ 550 hours and well maintained. Today the engine started surging. Acting just as it would if it were getting low on fue. Messing with the choke would help. Then it would stop. 10 minuter start up again. No rhyme or reason. Seems similar to what happended with my 17 Kaw on a SCag few years back. Any ideas?? Yes, it's under warranty but to drive across town and have it not act up for the dealer(ie 17hp) just becomes a complete wwaste. Looking for a bit of education.

2. JDRep2

JDRep2 LawnSite Member

Talk to your dealer. Deere keeps an electronic record of all complaints nationwide by model/serial number. Even if it doesn't 'perform' for the dealer, they can check wtih the technical assistance center for other cases. As well, your serial number gets logged with this complaint so if your machine has the same problem after the warranty expires you'll have a case.

3. Munz

Munz LawnSite Member

Have you checked the air and fuel filters?

4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

surging is usually a sign of carburator trouble

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

It's a fuel problem. either fuel pick-up tube in tank ,or fuel pump or fuel filter or debris/water in the float bowl or restriction in the main fuel deliver circuit in carburetor.

6. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

usually what I have seen happen is varnish from fuel gets built up in the carb. The fuel only has to set for a week or two and it will start to varnish in the carb , then starts all kind of small adjustment problems with the carb. I would suggest not trying to make carb adjustments, but take the bowl off and see if there is any debris or buildup in it. Ususally there is a needle valve that gets clogged. and it is frivtion fit, so you can pull them out and clean them. but I cannot say that I know this particular model. The next best thing is to go to your local chain and buy some STP Carb cleaner and put it in the tank and try it out...

7. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Is it surging or dying? I had a problem a few months ago with my 727, wound up the grommet holding the gas line in the gas tank had messed up, not allowing the line to get gas, and resulted in the mower dying out on me.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My first guess would be WATER in the gas.

My second would be fuel restriction.

I've had experiences with both.

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We had a JD Diesel that would do that in the summer. What it turned out was that it was water in the fuel but we kept checking th efuel barrels and had the distributor add an algecide to it and it was just humidity. It only affected the mower and none of the other equipment. The fuel/water separator on it wasn't the typical Plastic globe style found on the bigger mowers. It would start rattling, engine would bog down and shake for a few minutes, come up to speed and do it again. Had to put a new seperator on just about evey August. Does it have a small filter that you can take off and see if there is any water in the gas?

10. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Did you ever find out what the problem was with your mower?